Time Capsule sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hoffman99, Sep 20, 2009.

1. hoffman99 macrumors member

hoffman99

Well looks like I'm a new causality for Time Capsule. Bought a 500Gb when they first came out back in March 2008 and it work fine until today. This was the first time I was backing up files over the 500GB limit and started to deleted the old back ups to make room. The wireless connection still works but Airport Utility can't connect to the hard drive in Time Capsule. I think the hard drive is toast. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should just get a separate hard drive for back ups.

2. Farplaner macrumors 6502

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Mine hasn't had a problem and I'm sorry to hear that yours does.

Ideally, you'll find a quick solution with help here or from by getting help from Apple. But... if you have doubts that your backups are usable, don't wait long without getting another disk. Disks are cheap and your data is valuable.

4. hoffman99 thread starter macrumors member

hoffman99

Airport Utility Configs

Further investigation, it might not be the hard drive in my TC. It says Airport Utility cannot find TC after multiple scans so I did a hard reset on TC. Now I have to reconfigure my AP setting which I'm not sure I'm doing right because I don't understand everything yet. I'd call Apple but don't think they help since its past the warranty. I'll just keep plugging away at this and maybe I'll find something on this forum that will help.

Your right Doctor Q data is important and I'm going to buy an extra drive today to back up my data.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That happened to me as well, but is that a TC issue or Time Machine?

I now have changed my backup methodology because TM deleted all of my old backups w/o prompting me to keep/delete them. I now use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a clone image of my hard disk, on two external drives, one mobile (so I can take it offsite) and the other for when I totally screw something up.

I use TM to backup my documents other then my LightRoom library (adobe recommends avoiding Time Machine) and my Vmware virtual image. Both of those files combine to well over 100gig and can easily cause TM to delete my older backups. Those two objects are backed up by CCC. I run CCC weekly and my TM hourly.

6. tonyled macrumors member

i too have the 500gb original. i upgraded my drive to a WD green 1tb drive and couldnt be happier. runs much faster and cooler now.