Time Capsule Sudden Jump in IP addresses?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KapitanIksrog, Dec 29, 2011.

1. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I tried various searches for this and fear that I may not have my networking lingo down so I apologize in advance if this has been answered or asked.

I have been using a Time Capsule as my router for almost 3 years. I have a lot of devices that use it. Between TiVo's, Printers, Home MacBooks, Work Laptops, there are usually 10-15 devices with active wireless network connections. I noticed that my ip addresses are always 10.0.1.x where x is always in the 2-15 range. This week I saw that my Sony Google TV was 10.0.1.27 and some devices are up into the 30's. This isn't affecting performance but I am curious as to why the IP's have suddenly risen.

Right now I have (according to IP Scanner App and Airport Utility)

A week ago this list would have been 10.0.1.2 through 10.0.1.14 (or something like that). Is this anything I should be concerned about? If not, I am just really curious why this numbering changed after 3 years.

2. reese637 macrumors newbie

reese637

Time Capsule IP

Hello and happy new year!
    To help explain your question, let me explain how your router (I'll call TC for brevity) works.

Your TC is plugged into the internet via your modem. All of the devices on your network access the internet via your modem but through the wifi radio signals of your TC. Your TC needs to assign all of these devices a number for a multitude of reasons. Of of them is for NAT. NAT is the essential service on your TC that takes the 1 "line/connection" (if you will) to the internet that you have and allows your devices to be online at the same time. For example, if Macbook A is on youtube.com and Macbook B is on yahoo.com, how could they both be online on different sites at the same time if there's only 1 "line" to the WAN (wide area network [the internet])? Like on a phone, if one phone is calling 555-555-5555 and you pick up on another phone, you can't call another number because that line is in use. Contrary to that, NAT takes your public ip (the continuation is on the image below because my computer froze and i lost half of my post)
    [​IMG]
    default).
    In conclusion, there is nothing to be concerned about: this is just your router deciding that it wants to give some of your devices a new ip address. If you are working with servers, for example, ip's are important, but if you are just a normal user, then you don't have to worry about what your ip is. ;)
    Hope this helped. If you have any more questions, please let me know: I love talking about this stuff!

Again, good luck and happy new year!