Time Capsule? Suitable for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ModestMoo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Hello guys,

I need an a External HDD drive, but I need Wireless router too (because the stock ones are really crappy). So I'm looking for a Time Capsule because it's nice & sexy.
    I'd use to backup my movie's (1080p, 720p) I'm getting them a lot, so I will need to backup in it a lot.

I have a MBP 13" Early 2011. I'd use with just with it, maybe anytime soon I'd get a iMac, and ATV.

So how is it, can I delete stuff from there etc? Is it easy to manage the things? How much time it will take to backup the ~8GB movie via Wireless?

Is it good idea to buy it? Or just buy some WD External HDD and AirPort Extreme?

Thanks guys for a good advice

2. willieva macrumors 6502

If you need a hard drive that is visible everywhere on your network then the time capsule is a good solution. Particularly if you are going to be owning mostly mac devices. They all just work well together.

You can easily erase files on the time capsule. Your computer can see it just like any other hard drive.

If you need an external hard drive just to backup movie from your mbp then a usb or firewire external drive will be faster. Backing up over wireless will depend on your connection speed, but could easily take 20 minutes or more for 8 gig.

3. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

As long as you are just wanting to use the TimeCapsule for backup it is a really nice solution. I wouldn't worry too much about how long it takes to back up your movies. Just have it backup when you go to bed. I would say you need to make sure that you keep it cool as they get hot and Apple designed them to be quiet not cool. I bought a cheap usb fan for mine and have had no problems. It stays fairly cool even when backing up. Once I am out of AppleCare I plan on upgrading the size of the HD.

Which brings up a question, If you are constantly adding HD video to your computer you are going to run out of backup space fairly quickly. Just a thought. In that case you might be better off with the AE and an external HD that you can easily upgrade when needed.

4. chuffman15 macrumors regular

I've heard of a lot of people having the hdd crash in the time capsules. I purchased an apple airport extreme used on Craigslist for $80 and then bought a sea gate 2tb drive for $80 and created my own time capsule. Just plug your external hdd into the USB on the airport extreme and your done. I even took it a step farther and renamed my 2tb drive time capsule and the setup was very easy. My wife and i have been using it for 6 months now and we've only used up 100gb of the 2000.

5. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Last Question, can I use TC on wireless without having a broadband?

6. glennsan macrumors regular

Time Capsule

For wireless there has to be a wifi that it can login to. It can be someone else's (free, neighbor) but the signal has to be there. Unless there is an adapter that can be used for a 3G signal that you can get that I am unaware of. Good luck.

Glennsan

7. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

Your TC will create a WiFi network. That will connect all of your devices. You don't' need Broadband to use your TC. You will need some sort of modem to get to the internet, but not to back up your computers.

Also, the drives are not what fail with the TC; it is the internal power supply.