time capsule & super drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by helveta, Jun 5, 2012.

1. helveta, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

helveta macrumors member

Will my superdrive work if I plug it into the usb port on a time capsule? I don't see why not, unless the usb port won't power it. Anybody know?

I have a time capsule on order and I'd like to rip dvd's to the time capsule drive.

2. F4C4 macrumors newbie

F4C4

I just tried that and it doesnt work!

The time capsule does not power up the superdrive...

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

As F4C4 stated, it doesn't work. But even if you were to use a powered external ODD, you would still be unable to share it using the Time Capsule. The USB port on the Time Capsule can only share a USB HDD or printer (or both, if a hub is used), and with the printer it will not work with functions other than printing (for example, scanning, faxing, etc.).

Serving USB devices over a network isn't as simple as just plugging it into a USB port on a router. The router has to be able to serve that device out to clients (print server, USB HDD server, etc.) in order for the clients to use it. USB devices are designed to be used by only one device at one time, so the router to which it is attached must be able to manage any protocols and queues that are required to make the device function as a networked device.

Even with Apple's routers, the TC and AEBS are able to serve both printers and USB HDDs, whereas the Express only has the ability to serve printers using its USB port.

4. F4C4, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

F4C4 macrumors newbie

F4C4

Thanks for the info skorpien,

I tried this (TC + SD) with my MBA because I wanted to know if this could work with the new iMac. It would be nice to have the SD as a remote disk and not taking space on my desk.

I dont use CDs/DVDs that often and all Macs at home would be able to share the SD as remote disk.

Too bad this can't be done with TC. Do you know any way to make the SD available wirelessly on my home network? I almost considered buying an old used Mac mini just for the optical drive...

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Honestly I think this is your best bet, short of leaving it connected to the iMac and sharing it over the network (I realize this still means having it sitting on your desk).

I'm not sure if there are any USB servers out there that can serve ODDs let alone the SuperDrive, and finding a USB server that has that functionality or finding an ODD that's networkable without a computer (if they exist) would probably cost you a lot more than a used Mac mini.

If you can find a decently priced Mac mini for this purpose, you'd get more value for your money. You could also connect it to your TV and have a dedicated media center (bonus!).

6. F4C4 macrumors newbie

F4C4

Yes I thought about using it as a media center...

Than we go into that controversial topic: wouldn't it be great if the Mac mini had a blu-ray player??

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

We rarely use a CD or DVD. So our SD sits all nice and clean in its box in the office closet until we want to load a new CD into iTunes. The same goes for our USB 1.4" floppy drive.