Time Capsule Taking 5+ Days

Discussion in 'macOS' started by axlesteele, Oct 7, 2012.

1. axlesteele macrumors newbie

I have been using my Mac Book Air for little under a year now and finally bought an external hard drive last night to use as a time capsule. All was going well and last night, I had plugged it in for about an hour and 11gigs of data had been saved. I woke up this morning to discover that instead of the projected 6 hours, it was now 5 day and only 2 more gigs had been added to the drive. It is a brand new 1T harddrive, so I know it is not full. Could someone please explain why this is happening or if it is normal, or if I should restart the Time Machine Backup.
    Thanks

:apple: iPhone 5 :apple: MacbookAir 13 :apple:Itouch 3 :apple: iPad 1 :apple: iPad 3:apple:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would stop the backup and reformat the drive making sure you used Mac OS Extended.

The open System Prefs and in the Spotlight panel under privacy drag Macintosh HD into that area. Then drag it back out. That will force a Spotlight reindex. You will see a little dot pulsing in the Spotlight thing in the menu bar while this is happening. Then restart the machine and turn Time Machine back on.

Often a jacked up Spotlight index will cause these slow TM backups.