Time Capsule, the old IP problems; any solutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arty Mac, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Arty Mac macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have read several threads about the time capsules reporting having a non valid IP address, and funny old thing mine does too.....

The common theme of the threads is that there is no real answer (well, that works for me anyway).

I have my broadband running through a Thomson wireless router, and then connected via ethernet cable to my 3rd Gen. Time Capsule. I generally use the time capsule to generate the wireless network for my home internet.

My TC has been working fine for over a year, until the other day when the dreaded amber light of doom started to flash....and yes it was the non valid IP address.

Nothing I did seemed to resolve the issue, and I am confident that it was not my ISP as I could connect to the internet through the Thomson wireless router. I left it alone in frustration, and overnight the problem remedied itself.

No more than a day later and I am left with the same problem.

Is my TC on the way out (only about a year old 3rd Gen model)?
    Is it my ISP?
    Is TC just a bit cr:mad:p as the wireless router?

If anyone has the answer or can give me a permanent solution, I will send you a virtual bunch of flowers or pint of beer (whatever you fancy).

As ever, many thanks!

2. laurenr, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

laurenr macrumors 6502a

Is the Thomson a combination modem/router? Have you tried setting this to bridge mode? Are you ever seeing a "double NAT" message in Airport Utility?

If your broadband is through DSL (as opposed to Cable), which device is handling the PPPoE login - the TC or the modem?