Time Capsule/Time Machine Backup Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ellen, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

I set up my new Time Capsule the other day, and the router is working fine. However, while I was able to run my first Time Machine backup successfully, since then I can run a backup only if I manually mount the Time Capsule - then a backup starts. But the hourly backups are not starting on their own. The only change in my setup is that I ran the first backup manually, and now my configuration is wireless. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just like an external hard drive you will need to have the Time Capsule mounted to do automatic hourly backups.

to mount the Time Capsule disk on login drag it to your "Login Items" in Accounts Preferences

3. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Perhaps I am confused but I thought I read in other posts that unlike an external drive Time Capsule is supposed to mount and unmount itself as needed to do the automatic backups?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oh ok! i just typed my reply with the knowledge that i have of Time Machine and the Time Capsule… but i dont actually own a Time Capsule :eek:

after a bit of Googling i found this. but if you dont shutdown or restart your Mac, only sleep, your Time Capsule will remain connected.

EDIT: i just found this and on the fourth paragraph it does indicate the behaviour you want.

5. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

It seems like some people are having my problem and others are not - backups won't run automatically unless I mount Time Capsule to the desktop. I can do the login workaround but would love to figure out what is causing this. (The router is great so far.)

If any of these settings raise an issue, I'd appreciate anyone weighing in.

I do have Energy Saver set to put the computer and display to sleep after an hour, and checked the box to put the hard drive to sleep when necessary. But that shouldn't prevent TM from running when I'm using the computer?

Same with screensaver - it kicks in after 15 minutes but I wouldn't think that it would affect backups while I am using the computer.

But if I'm wrong and I need to tinker with any settings I would appreciate the feedback.