Time Capsule/Time Machine backups files... where did they go???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vfrl7r, Oct 26, 2011.

1. vfrl7r macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

OK so here's what's happened. I've always had the Time Machine icon on my desktop where I have always clicked and dragged movies, games, music etc (essentially I've been using it as a hard drive). Then for some reason after I installed Lion on my Mac it didn't allow me to add files. I hit the 'soft reset' on the back of the Time Capsule and now all the files I had on there have disappeared. It still says I have 500 gig free out of 1TB. Any ideas on how to get back the rest of the files?

Thank you very much :)

2. garycurtis macrumors 6502

You are overlooking a prime advantage of backup: it preserves the precise arrangement of changed items on your HD. The layout of folders and files. Of prime importance, the cluster of subroutines and aids packaged with Applications, shouldn't be disturbed. ( my terminology here might not be correct).

When you override this feature and 'go manual', you do so at your own peril.
    Run Disk Warrior on your external drive and the mystery should get solved.

3. vfrl7r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your reply. This morning when I woke up, the state of the hard drive had changed once again... it now said that 990 gig was available and that 10 gig was used making that 980 gig free... is there anyway of recovering the files i had on it before or are they totally lost now?

Thanks again :)

4. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Not completely sure what is going on. Especially since I'm ignorant about Lion.

I would heartily encourage you to get a copy of Disk Warrior. It will fix the directory on a drive so Icons for most files will appear on the desktop.