Time Capsule-Time Machine/File Storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winty03, May 24, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Hello,
    I am sure there has been someone who has already asked this question..but
    I need some assistance with my Time Capsule. My network consists of 1 mbp and 1 windows xp machine connected via Time Capsule to a cable modem. Currently I have transfered a folder of movie backups, pictures, and some forms I need. As I type its performing the first time machine backup. I would like to allocate some storage space on the Time Capsule solely for file storage and the rest for time machine backups. Reading I found out time machine will back up to the drive till it fills it full then delete backups as needed. If it does do that I ill have no space for any "new" file storing. Is there a way to get around this?

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can take apart the Time Capsule and take the drive out (which voids the warranty) and then you can partition the drive into 2 partitions, put it back in and restart Time Capsule.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Anything simpler? Surely there must be a way to create a partition without taking the drive out.

5. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, I really dont want to void my warranty just to partition a drive.....does apple have any how to or procedure to do this?

6. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I do not have Time Capsule but, from what I understand, you can partition it just as you would any other HDD. You can do this on your Mac using disk utility.

7. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

This is what I would try

I would try to connect the time capsule to the MBP via a USB 2.0 cable and then use disk util to re-partition the drive. Not sure if disk util will maintain data you have in the existing partition but you could always back up again after you split the time capsule into two partitions.

8. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Good idea. Has anyone actually done this and can confirm it works?

9. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I asked Apple this; they said the only way to take out the drive; they did warn me it would void the warranty, so it's a do-at-your-own-risk kind of procedure.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

No, you can't.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

HMM called Apple and they said no way to stop the time machine from eating up the entire drive. their only suggestion is to limit what the time machine backs up and slow the fill, otherwise they had no suggestions.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There are some answers here, but no, you can't partition the drive without taking it apart. :(

15. kbonnel macrumors 6502

If you want to have a set amount of space for your other non-time machine files, then you could create a disk image on the time-capsule disk. You can then mount it when you start up your system.

16. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

You can't partition the drive without voiding the drive? I think thats pretty stupid.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey