Time Capsule/Time Machine for photos backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by royser12345, Aug 17, 2014.

1. royser12345 macrumors newbie

Hello, please kindly clarify for me the following:
    I have MBP and TC. My logic was that I am using TC for backing up my photos and videos that I am constantly taking with my camera. So once I export pics and vids from my camera to macbook the idea is that it gets transferred to time capsule as a backup. So my plan is to be able to erase those pics from my macbook to free up the space since it's on TC anyway. Recently I have tried to come through my pictures on TC and couldn't find those. I did a bit of reading on how Time Machine works and discovered that it does backups of macbook folders at certain time.

So my question is how do I browse through all my photos on Time Capsule? All my photos that were captured by different backups over time?

Thank you!

2. n0cus macrumors 6502

Click the the Time Machine logo in the Menu Bar, then click Enter Time Machine. From there it should take you to a Finder window. Within Finder, access the folder your photos should be, and then click a period of time before you deleted your photos on the right. This should show your photos in the Finder windows. Restore the files, and you should be good to go. Time Machine make a complete copy of the current state of your system. Overtime, as Time Machine make more and more backups, it will replace your previous backups. You should backup your photos separately from your Time Machine. Good Luck!

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You would be better off getting an external to plug into Time Capsule to store media onto it.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Time machine is a backup solution, not an archive. You want a minimum of two copies of your pictures/data. If you want to archive your pix, copy them to an external drive and include that dive in your time machine backup.