Time Capsule + Time Machine = Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lazygregg, Mar 8, 2008.

1. lazygregg macrumors member

I have a Macbook running 10.5.2 and a 500 GB Time Capsule.

I can connect to the internet, view the Time Capsule from Finder...everything works great but when I try backing up w/ Time Machine to my Time Capsule the backing up stops at 28 kb of 104 gb....whats the deal?!!??!

I've restarted...and still the same issues

2. ascender macrumors 68000

Are you connected wirelessly or by cable for your first backup? Just checking, as its recommended you use an Ethernet cable for your first complete backup.

3. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

Have you installed the program that came on the disk with the Time Capsule?

If so, or after you've done that, do the following:

1. Open "Airport Utility", click on "Time Capsule" go to "Manual Setup" in the bottom, left-hand corner then click on the "Disks" tab at the top. Click on "Erase" to Erase the disk.

2. Now click on the "Airport" tab and select "Wireless". For "Radio Mode" select 801.11n only (2.4 Ghz) and the "Channel" as automatic. Click "Update" in the bottom, right-hand corner. Restart your computer.

3. Open "System Preferences" and go to "Time Machine". Make sure you are connected to the network created by the Time Capsule, and select the Time Capsule Drive as your Time Machine backup destination. Close out of System Preferences.

A full backup will take 8 hours or more the first time, depending on the amount of data you have. Don't turn off the computer, let it sleep, or anything like that during the first backup (i.e., let it run overnight).

Let me know if that works.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yes, if this is your first back up, do it via ethernet - it will take a long time, especially for 100+GB. Might take all night (8+ hours). Yes, this is normal. It will run slower than a directly-connected FireWire drive.

And if it appears to pause at 28K for the first back up, just leave it, it'll finish. Make sure you set your machine to never sleep so it can finish the first backup without interruption.