Time Capsule - TM works but Drive not connected in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scottydawg, Sep 21, 2011.

1. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I just picked up a Time Capsule today and have one confusing issue. This is an upgrade from the last generation AE.
    I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro. The wireless performance is very good and running a wireless Time Machine backup on the MBP worked very smoothly. My confusion lies in the fact that when I open Finder on the MBP I can see the the Time Capsule drive but when I click on it the message is "Not Connected". When I do the same on the MacPro it has no problem connecting to it. I would like to use the drive to share files and am not sure what the heck is going on. Any thoughts or advice?

2. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Well I nosed around and found the issue so I thought I would post it here in case someone else has the same problem. I ended up having to go to Finder then from the "Go" menu I used "connect to server" which found the drive and then was able to get it to show up in the Finder window after entering the TC password.

3. laudern macrumors 6502a

I didnt realise this but are you able to actually see the time capsule as a normal external drive in the finder window??

So would I be able to put files on the time capsule manually and not be part of the laptops time machine backup process?

The reason i as is that I wanna put a few files on the time capsule that wont be on the laptop...

4. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Yes you can put files on the TC and share them between other computers on your network :)

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

As scottydawg said, you can share files from the TC to all the computers on your local network. The only "problem" with this is that eventually, Time Machine backups will fill up all the remaining space on the TC disk. Although TM will not delete any extra files you've already put onto the TC disk, it'll be inconvenient to "manually" place any more files onto it once the disk is full. From what I understand, you'd have to go into the TM "starry space" interface and make more space on the TC disk by deleting backups of files no longer needed, and then there should be more room to place your own files.

(I haven't reached the disk-full condition, yet.)

Oh -- the other "problem" is that Time Machine will not and can not back up the files you've "manually" placed onto the TC disk, so make sure they are backed up some other way.

More info, see http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/TCQ3.html

Regards,
    Brian33.

6. laudern macrumors 6502a

yep that all seems fair and makes enough sense....And I read somewhere that you cant partition the TC unless you physically take the HDD out of the capsule and put it into a USB dock...which would be a mega bitch....

And the other thing I wanted to do with TC was plug a USB modem into the TC usb port and share the internet over the TC network...but ive read around and it looks like TC USB is designed only for printers and extra usb HDD...That very annoying...

7. rishibasak macrumors newbie

rishibasak

This is great! Thanks for posting this fix.

8. garylovesbeer macrumors newbie

You can limit the maximum size of the TM backup sparsebundles so the Time Capsule does not fill entirely.