Time Capsule to play files through HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dtmagee, Mar 27, 2011.

1. dtmagee macrumors newbie

hello.

I just purchased a Samsung HDTV. I bought an HDMI cable to run files off of my Macbook. As it turns out my Macbook wont play audio through the HDMI cable. Ive heard I can get an aux plug to supplement that issue. But I'm think about going in a different direction.
    The Samsung HDTV I got has a USB port in the back that allows you to play video/music files through the television. Would it be possible to run a Time Capsule through that port and would the TV possibly recognize and play the files off of said Time Capsule?
    Please guide me....

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

How are you going to connect the Time Capsule to the TV?
    Youre best bet might be getting an external Hard Drive with your content on there or picking up the cheap audio cable form monoprice.com

or another option would be get a appletv, refurbs i believe are around 85$

3. dtmagee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I want to run the Time Capsule through the television.
    The reason I thought a time capsule would be good over just a normal external HD would be the fact that I'm constantly getting new material and instead of pulling the HD out from the back of my TV everytime I want to put new data on it.
    Does that seems like a reasonable reason?

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

How you you expect your TV to understand what a Time Capsule is? Time Capsules are not video devices, they are network equipment. Your TV is probably not going to see it, much less know what to do with it.

5. dtmagee thread starter macrumors newbie

It has a USB port that recognizes data. I plugged in a thumb drive that had a .avi file and a jpeg and it recognized and played both. So I pretty sure it would recognize and play both.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

are you saying youre going to plug the time capsule into your tv via USB?
    I'm a bit confused on how you expect the TV to read any content off the Time Capsule

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

This is not possible. The USB port on the back of a Time Capsule is used only to connect hard drives and printers to the Time Capsule for sharing over the network. It cannot be used by any computer or other device to access the Time Capsule's internal hard drive. You'll need an external HDD, or as others have suggested an Apple TV. You may also use an adapter such as this.