Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgilmore7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2018
I was trying to figure out if I could use my Time Capsule to share my photo library across all my Macs like iCloud would do. My photo library is too large for my iCloud account and if I could use my Time Capsule for the same thing and avoid paying for more storage that would be great. I know there is photo sharing but then you have to make new albums that only hold a certain amount of pictures and thats a pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Technically, it would work, but it will be so slow as to be unusable. Let's say you have a 10GB Photos library stored on the TC... every time you open the Photos app that entire 10GB library will have to be moved over the network so it can be opened on the Mac... and that will take forever.

pgilmore7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2018
Technically, it would work, but it will be so slow as to be unusable. Let's say you have a 10GB Photos library stored on the TC... every time you open the Photos app that entire 10GB library will have to be moved over the network so it can be opened on the Mac... and that will take forever.
Thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.