Time Capsule Transfer Speeds / Network Questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iamaphonic, Dec 1, 2010.

1. iamaphonic macrumors newbie

Hello,

So I've been using a 1TB Time Capsule for a while now with my old HP and recently purchased a MacPro [15 inch base model]. My room mate has a recent model Macbook as well as an older iMac.

We have a 50MBPS internet connection through our local ISP.

More or less I am looking for advice on how to make sure our network is:

1. Secure.

2. Faster transfer speeds between all of our computers to and from the Time Capsule. [Where to find / adjust / optimize these settings]

3. Utilize our internet connection to it's fullest potential.

I am mostly concerned with my machine [optimizing it that is.] then the rest of the computers in the house.

Go slow and use medium sized words as I am still wading into the world of Mac. Any help at all in these fields would be greatly appreciated.

-Aphonic

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Internet speed has nothing to do with transfer speeds. Maximum transfer speed to a TC is 300 Mbps, which is roughly 38 MBps, so the absolute maximum that you can transfer is 38 MBps, but you'll never transfer that fast, so I would only expect half of that realistically.

To make your network secure, open Airport Utility and the entire setup is there.

3. iamaphonic thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so native security on it is good and just standardly connecting my MacPro to the network will give me the fastest transfer speed available with my Time Capsule?

Are there any other settings I can tweak that will improve general internet performance?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Wired connections will always offer better speeds, since it's 1 Gbps compared to 300 Mbps. So if you can have a wired connection, its usually recommended, especially for transferring files.

How old is the TC? If you have one of the simultaneous dual band models then you can set up a separate 2.4GHz (for G devices) network from the 5GHz (for N devices) network, so your computers can operate with less interference and faster.

5. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Make sure that all your cables are cat 6

with cat 5 I get 100m/s

with cat 6 I get 1 Gb/s

its got to help and not to expensive