Time capsule, transfer the old backup from external, and bridge connection.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rajjejosefsson, Mar 22, 2014.

1. rajjejosefsson macrumors member

Going to buy a time capsule, I wonder if I should transfer my existing backup available on my external hard drive to the time capsule?

I will run my adsl modem in bridge mode, should I connect adsl lan port to timecapsule wan port then?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The LAN port on the DSL modem that is bridged is connected to WAN port on the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule will function in DHCP and NAT and work as the router.

The DSL modem should be bridged like you said. As for the backups, you can simply start a new backup. I believe USB connected drives use a different file type for Time Machine backups. I may be wrong so wait for someone to chime in.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I assume here you are using Time Machine (TM)?

Yes, you can move the TM backup from your external to the Time Capsule, but it is a hassle. You can read a step by step here.

Networked TM backups are stored inside a sparse bundle disk image as opposed to a open file format on the locally attached disk so you cannot just unplug the local drive and have it resume backups over the network to the same backup set. The work around involved starting a new backup on the Time Capsule then canceling it, then ager that copying your backup set from he to inside the sparse bundle just created on the Time Capsule.

Unless you are just really wedded to that old data, it is far easier just to start a new TM backup on the Time Capsule.