Time Capsule transmit power

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MaxBurn, Aug 24, 2014.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I remember adjusting the WiFi transmit power in the past and because I lived in a small apartment it was left set to a lower setting.

Now I have a bigger house and I have a bit of a coverage problem but I can't find the transmit power setting in the iOS app or the Mac anymore.

Where is that WiFi power option now?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can either reset the AirPort or use AirPort Utility 5.6.1 to change it.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They might have taken that option out when they came out with the new airport utility app.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

They did so you must change it with the older utility.

5. filbert42 macrumors newbie

filbert42

Can you explain how to get it and how it works?

Thanks

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You must first download the proper version of AirPort Utility and copy the whole folder to /Applications. You can get the version here. All credit goes to Corey J. Mahler for providing the launcher and build of AirPort Utility. Note that if you are on Mavericks or Yosemite you must use his included launcher to open the older AirPort Utility.

Once you are in AirPort Utility, select your base station. Click "Manual Setup" and go to the Wireless tab. Select "Wireless Options" at the bottom of the screen and set the transmit power to 100%.

7. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I missed the activity, I must have neglected to subscribe to the post.

Thank you very much for posting that, I will check into this.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Let me know how it turns out!

9. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

So I used that utility and it said I left the transmit power on 25%. I set it to 100% and did the mandatory reboot and it does appear to be a little stronger now according to my wifi analyzer app that shows DB. Seems to be solid data coverage in the kitchen/garage areas which I was hoping for.

I really hope I'm fooling myself. If I'm not fooling myself I'd be pretty annoyed they both took that option away and neglected to have it reset to 100% when they took it away. The apple wifi kit seems nice and reliable but I'm going to strongly consider other options when I replace this, not really a fan of reducing the options even further.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Though a lot of stuff was removed in AirPort Utility 6, it is being re-added in every update. Apple likes to strip programs and slowly re-add the features back in very much like how they did with Pages 4.3 vs. Pages 5.0.

11. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yeah, not a fan. I'd rather there be an advanced menu that you rarely have to go into for this stuff, don't just take it away. I just keep butting heads with apple on stuff like this.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

AirPort Utility 6 has come a long way since 6.0. Pages matured to almost full functionality in just a few months. The clincher here is that Apple would need to do double work with AirPort Utility by also coding it into firmwares on the actual base station.