Time Capsule unavailable

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by blueb3ll, Dec 18, 2013.

1. blueb3ll macrumors member

Hi
    Ever since I updated to Maverick, my Time Capsule doesn't show up in Airport Utilities. Can anybody help please?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Turn off the wireless card. Then open Finder window and go to the folder /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and throw it out into the Trash Can, then IMMEDIATELY REBOOT to rebuild those files. Then go into System Preferences->Network pane and rejoin your wireless network.

3. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

Thanx. Am a bit hesitant doing that as I'm not an expert and don't want to loose my Inet connection.

4. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think this is a problem with Mavericks or your computer. It looks more like a problem with your Time Capsule.

Exactly how is your Time Capsule connected? Is it connected by ethernet directly to a cable/dsl modem of some sort? Is the cable/dsl modem one of those with a built in router?

What I would try is unplug your cable/dsl modem, then reset the Time Capsule following this, then plug the power to the modem back in.

This will remove your wifi settings from the Time Capsule, so you will need to use Airport Utility to set a wifi password again.

6. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

My TC is only connected via wifi and I have already reset it more than once. I've also tried connecting it to the adsl box with an Ethernet cable but it didn't make any difference. I live in France, so am using the SFR network with their so called Neuf Box like the one on the second picture if you follow this link:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=neuf...zQ7AbwioDYDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1262&bih=621

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see. What if you just disconnect the TC from everything and do the hard reset form the link I gave you. Wait for it to restart. The light will flash amber since it can't find a network, but the wifi will still be on. The on your Mac click the wifi in the menu bar and look for the TC in the list and join that network. This will not get you on the Internet, but the Mac should connect by wifi to the TC anyway. Now start Airport Util and see if you can select the TC and configure it.

That Neuf Box looks like a mode/router combo, so you will will want to either configure the Neuf in "bridge mode" or put the TC in bridge mode so they do not conflict with each other.

You can try a Google search to see if you can find out how to bridge the Neuf, or you can bridge mode the TC by using the below setting in Airport Utility.

The best way to connect the Neuf to the TC would be by ethernet of you can.

[​IMG]

8. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

Hi

Tried to do what you said but it didn't work. Don't want to fiddle with the Neuf Box so tried to configure in Airport U but it looked like on this picture, so couldn't:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Qqjmn33DZ5E1miaWH-orzzHdy7JZ69cywUWULS7MvKU?feat=directlink

Have now connected the TC via Ethernet (which is not as convenient for me) and at last the light is green. Am now trying to do a back up so - fingers crossed!

Will revert if it doesn't but in the meantime - a big thank you for all your help :)

9. blueb3ll, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

11. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

About 4 h.
    It's not the first backup as I have used it for a couple of years without any problems but it's the first one since mid November as I was away.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you open the TC drive and at least look at it in Finder? That way you know the system can see it.

If you can, try the following:

1) Do a command-r boot and use Disk Utility to do a repair disk
    2) Enter "sudo mdutil -E /" (without the quotes) in Terminal to reindex Spotlight. This takes a while to complete. Time Machine uses the Spotlight index and this can help.
    3? If 1 + 2 does not help, try resetting Time Machine following this guide.

13. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

No it doesn't show up in finder. It used to but not any longer.
    It does show in Disk Utility though.

Command-r boot?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hold the command and R key when booting and that will take you to the recovery console. From there, launch Disk Utility and do a repair disk. Then reboot normally.

15. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

I started repairing the TC but unfortunately my power cord decided to give up on me, so I have to try again once I've got a new one.

In the meantime I hope you have a lovely Christmas :)

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Man... you just are having bad luck with this thing!

Thank you so much. The same to you and yours. :)

17. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

Hello again

Got my cable, did the repair, thought it did a back up but no, tried to back up but it still just hangs, so what now???

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm kind of out of ideas to try. :confused: If it won't even show up in the Finder, I don't know what to do. It may defective.

19. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

Oh OK :(
    Nevermind, if you think of something please let me know.
    In the meantime, many thanks again for all your help :)

20. kittencounter macrumors member

You sure that the Time Capsule doesn't have to do any firmware update? Last time I had the exact same problem. I first removed the available backup disk. Then the firmware update poped up => did the update => reselect the backup disk => do the usual backup => done

..it was weird for sure

21. blueb3ll thread starter macrumors member

Time Capsule unavailable

I don't believe it!
    It seems the TC is doing updates although the icon is not turning during the process:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ki2qDRvbQb3suXbXQ-KwUTHdy7JZ69cywUWULS7MvKU?feat=directlink

It now also shows up in Finder, which it didn't do before.

I have now idea how this has happened or if it has anything to do with me connecting Money to Dropbox or installing Avast and running a scan, which are the only two 'unusual' things I've done lately

Just hope it continues to work :eek:)