Time Capsule update imminent?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ckeck, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Went by the local Apple Store yesterday with my friend who was purchasing a replacement for his Time Capsule that just died. The rep helping us said they have been out of stock for ~7 days as well as the other local store.

Anyone know anything about a possible refresh or is this simply due to the supply chain crunch on HDDs at the moment?

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Apple tend to release a new Time Capsule model each year, the last being mid 2011. If past release dates are anything to go by, we should see a new Time Capsule this year. When this year is anyone's guess.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I expect it is a supply-chain issue for the HDDs. iMacs with 2TB drives have seen multi-week delays due to the situation in Thailand.

The latest TC is a serious leap forward in performance as a router, so we might not see an update in the near-future.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't see a new one until 802.11ac is finalized..same with the Airport Extremes. And there isn't a 4GB hard drive out, so no reason for them to bump the drive sizes.

5. toughstough macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat.

Basically in the same boat. I have been to a couple local Best Buy's and they are not in stock, neither the 2TB or the 3TB. I plan to visit the Local Apple Store, but prefer Best Buy first since they have a rewards program. Funny thing is Best Buy does not even have them at their warehouse and there web site only has refurbished that do not offer a warranty, at least the Apple site offers the release date of the refurbs and a 1 year warranty. I could always order from the Apple Store I guess.

To wait or not to wait, that is the question.

6. rufftackle macrumors newbie

I had the same question in mind when buying my TC. I went ahead and took the dive though. Wasn't willing to risk having my HDD fail without a backup any longer.

I cant imagine any significant updates being made that would completely differentiate the two models.

7. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

What kills me about the TC is that...it should have some kind of media functionality. Think about it...iOS 5 cut the cord. So the iPad/iPhone you have is your only computer...Apple wants you to buy media from them but you will run out of space on your device (movies). What to do?

It was rumored before the last refresh that this was going to be built in, this and something about iOS backups to iCloud would be cached on your TC so the retrieval of backup files would be quick. I know it was all rumors...but it made so much sense to me, I was kind of bummed when it turned out to be false. My mom got an iPad for XMAS and she is buying movies and songs like crazy! Sadly her iPad is full and while I bought her Match to keep the music in the cloud, the movies are filling her drive.

It seems like something fairly easy for Apple to do....

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

Think about this for a second, if your back up to iCloud was also locally cached as you stated, in your scenario as mirrored to your TC, then why not just back up locally to your PC? It is the same thing. The only advantage to backing up to a TC would be for people who do not own a PC or who do not have internet connections...which I suspect are pretty much zero for anyone who owns an iPhone or iPad. Apples entire point behind Photo Stream, iCloud back up, Airport Utilities for iOS and Music Match was by in large for people who own an iDevice but do not have a PC.

Your point about back ups and your Mom's full iPad is confusing two issues, backing up just not clearing space, what you want is the ability to archive items to to iCloud or to an external drive not connected to iTunes/PC. TC can already act as an external storage device that iTunes can serve media from via Home Sharing; but I suspect what you are asking for is a PC/iTunes less storage device that an iDevice could access. I do not see this happening, I see iCloud expanding to hold and stream your movies the same way it does for Music and TV shows.

9. lowonthe456, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

Now that I reread it I see I wasn't clear. But yes you pretty much got it. If TC could, on it's own, serve appletv...it'd be very helpful. I have no doubt that apple is working on movies in the cloud. And I'd be happy to purchase movies I have rips of, well assuming Star Wars and Jaws find their way to the store (otherwise i have to resort to less than legal-yet not illagal means).
    :p
    I'd pay another $25 a year for this movie-in-the-cloud functionality. Sadly it will be relased a week after I break down and buy a TC

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/03/new-time-capsules-to-run-ios-on-a4a5-processors/

http://i.tuaw.com/2011/06/15/next-gen-time-capsule-airport-extreme-referenced-in-airport-uti/

10. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I was searching for this as well and wondered. 2TB units are out everywhere I search (or incredibly marked up) and the 3TB are about the same. I guess I'll wait a little bit and see if they come back into stock!

11. PeteyV macrumors member

I figured this would be a good thread to post my question about a TC. It still seems to be on backorder everywhere. I bought one on Amazon.com on January 27th and it has yet to ship.

Now this is a hypothetical question but if any of you guys were me would you cancel your amazon.com order (still possible) and wait for a possible refresh since it seems that TC's aren't available anywhere?

Theres one on eBay thats unopened but I've had a bad track record when buying on eBay and Im not sure if I want to take the plunge. Now me being a seller on eBay, thats a different story my customers must love me.

12. toughstough macrumors newbie

Time Capsule as Wireless Client

Hello,

I have a NEW Time Capsule on my Home Network configured as a Wireless Client. Time Machine and Drive access are flawless.

Question:

Can the 3 Gigabit ports be enabled to allow my wired Dish Receiver, Pioneer Receiver and Blu Ray player access to my network / internet?

Best,

Chris

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

As hwojtek noted, any device connected to those ports has access to the Internet just like any device connected via WiFi. My TivoHD and Blu-ray player are connected via wired Ethernet cable to my Time Capsule and use it to access the Internet.

14. toughstough macrumors newbie

Hmmm - Thank you for your assistance -

Please remember that I have set this up as a wireless client.

I have tried both DHCP and Static and although I have Green Lights on the Time Capsule my components still do not access the LAN / Internet.

Again thank you for any direction.

Chris

15. toughstough macrumors newbie

16. toughstough macrumors newbie

I am up and running perfect.

I have replaced my buffalo technologies access point with the time capsule and placed it in the family room so my dish and pioneer receiver is hard wired to it.

In the bedroom I have installed an Airport Express and an 8 port switch and hooked my bd player, dish and pioneer receiver to it.

All problems solved I about 2 hours which includes the trip to Best Buy.