Time Capsule Update?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by b-rad g, Dec 6, 2010.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Was looking at the buying guide but didn't see anthing on the Time Capsule as to when it was updated last and how soon the next one might be. I will be buying one in the coming months and figured with the dropping prices of Hard Drives that maybe an updated Time Capsule might come out with a lower price. Anybidy have a clue?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I doubt it would. There really haven't been many changes for an update to happen, so it will probably stay the same for a while.

3. animatedude macrumors 65816

the only way for Capsule to sell more it to add a built in modem in there..many ppl use a router AND a time capsule...why is that? is it hard for Apple to realize that? but i guess they see it as a step backward..

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Update to what? There isn't a new wireless standard. Hard drives still top out at 2TB. I suppose they could make a dual-disk RAID available. Mostly, it needs software updates. Not sure that hardware is an issue right now.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

I, for one, prefer a separate modem and router combo. What if you were to switch ISPs from one that uses ADSL to one that uses cable? Then you would need to get an entirely new Time Capsule/AirPort Extreme/Express to use with your new ISP. Apple will not, and in my opinion should not, manufacture a modem/router combo, especially as a Time Capsule.

OP, if you need it now, get it. Router technology hasn't really changed much to necessitate a significant upgrade to the hardware.

6. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well with the current pricing you could get around 4tb of storage and an AEBS. So maybe just a price update?

7. Meever macrumors 6502a

Maybe new design? Specs wise there isn't much to upgrade. Maxed storage, N final (none of that draft stuff), new antenna arrangement for great range, gigabit, USB.....

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Yes. Gigabit would be nice for wired networks.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

Doesn't it already have Gigabit ports? I believe Meever was listing the features already included in the newest version. Unless I misunderstood your post, then please disregard.

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

You're correct. My previous generation one, however, does not! Somehow, I think it is unlikely they'll fix that for me...

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/specs.html

11. ozthegweat macrumors regular

Actually, 3TB hard drives have been available for a few weeks now.

In Spring 2009, 2TB hard drives became available. Apple updated the Time Capsule in Summer 2009, when it doubled the hard drive capacity of the two models from 500GB to 1TB and from 1TB to 2TB, respectively.

That's why I think that in the next couple of weeks, they'll bump the hard drives to 2TB and 3TB (or make three models, 1TB, 2TB and 3TB).

12. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

How about a slightly lower price? Or SSD storage instead of a hard disk that spins?

13. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Why SSD? The HD speed is not the performance bottleneck on a TC and SSD would just increase the cost dramatically.

14. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Would a SSD have less of a chance of breaking? I thought less moving parts was a good thing.

15. Maarten CH macrumors newbie

Is there a chance that the next version well be dlna ready or is this the same story as flash and bluray? And can this be implemented with a firmware update on the older models?

16. Maarten CH macrumors newbie

According to wikipedia is the current TC from 2009.

G4 (late 2009)
    MC343LL/A 1TB Time Capsule (Europe: MC343Z/A)
    MC344LL/A 2TB Time Capsule (Canada: MC344AM/A)

17. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Probably more reliable but far too expensive for the sizes needed to hold a good number of backups...

18. sinned72, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

sinned72 macrumors newbie

Personally for backing up data SSD of a reasonable size would be cost prohibitive (1TB of SSD is well over 1000 dollars, here in Canada)

The Time Capsule is a router so if people wanted to they could switch their ISP provided hardware from router mode to bridge mode to use the TC exclusively for that (I did this for a while and it worked perfectly, I have since switched my core routing to a Cisco 2600 to provide more advanced features that is possible with a consumer device.)

I own both a 1st gen 1TB model and a 3rd gen 2TB model and both have Gigabit Ethernet ports although the 1st gen is not as good a performer for transfers to and from the TC itself. If you were to take a Gigabit Ethernet PCI card and throw it in a Pentium 3 500MHz system you will never realize Gigabit speeds since the CPU can never do it which I suspect this is the issue with the earlier TCs (although they are not using such archaic hardware as the Pentium 3.)

Cheers