Time Capsule Updates? Any Guesses?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aedraste, Jan 12, 2009.

1. aedraste macrumors member

Greetings all,

In the past year or so, I've become quite the Apple fanatic, and I've been incredibly satisfied with my unibody MacBook. I am, however, quickly running out of storage, and also accumulating a lot of files that I really would like to backup.

I really love the idea of Time Capsule, and a number of my friends have had excellent experiences with it. While it certainly wasn't at the top of everyone's list of expectations, I don't think anyone would have been surprised if Apple had introduced a price-drop or a higher capacity TC at Macworld. As we all know, they didn't.

I'm incredibly impatient, and I've really been considering buying the 500gb version sometime this week.

What are the chances that Apple will update the TC options/prices in the next few months?

I can personally see them dropping the 500gb altogether, making the 1tb the standard at around $299, and introducing a 3tb or 5tb at the $499 level, but I really have no idea what to think.

Any guesses or educated opinions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No one knows. We've not heard anything about Time Capsule... ever (while your post proclaims the right product, you'll want to edit your title to say Capsule instead of Machine).

About the only thing that can be done to such a device is an increase in storage. The 1.5TB drives that exist are HORRIBLY unstable and WORTHLESS for serious backups of data, so we'll need to wait for 2TB drives for there to be an update.

3. aedraste thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick response and catching the title- fixed.

I didn't even consider the practical logistics of drives of that size.