Time Capsule upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dubydoo, Apr 1, 2015.

1. dubydoo macrumors member

Are you guys expecting an upgrade of the Time Capsule til year? If yes, would it be anything other than an upgrade of the capacity (such as to 4GB and 5GB versions)? Because as far as I´ve seen I could do that myself with the current version...

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would expect a minor spec upgrade to accompany the increased storage if there will be any update at all. If you currently have a current generation Time Capsule then I would just upgrade the drive in it.

3. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

What could such minor spec upgrades potentially be? I'm going to buy a Time Capsule but I'm trying to decide if I should wait until fall to see if any updates (beyond storage) are coming.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would only expect a minor wireless hardware upgrade similar to the 4th and 5th generation Extremes' upgrade. Moderately better performance at most. What router do you have now? If you are using a good N450 class router or better then it may be worth the wait otherwise the current Extreme or Time Capsule is a fantastic option that is extremely capable. Keep in mind, that an AirPort Extreme 6th gen. with a USB hard drive is capable of Time Machine natively too!

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Which is a nice little addition. From what I've read, it does perform slower than a proper Time Capsule, though.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A bit slower but still in the 22 MB/s range which is plenty for my needs.