Time Capsule - USB Drive on PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rittchard, Mar 4, 2008.

1. rittchard macrumors 6502

I've got my TC doing just about everything I wanted thus far, with a couple nagging things.

I've attached a USB hard drive, and it shows up on my Mac, but not on the PC (running Vista). If I run Airport utility on the PC, I can see that the drive is recognized and attached, but I can't figure out how to actually access the drive. I tried "add network drive" but couldn't get it to show up. I don't actually remember how I got the TC itself to show up, I do recall it didn't work at first.

On a side note, I had a rather hit or miss time with the TC setup. Some stuff was incredibly easy/quick. Other misc steps seemed off but fine when I rebooted. Interestingly you're never told (that I saw anyway) to restart/reboot the computer, but it seemed like it was required (for me anyway) in a number of instances.

Another odd quirk is the TC doesn't seem to show up on my iPhone, haven't quite figured that out yet.

2. rittchard thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else have a similar configuration? That is, USB external drive on the TC, trying to access it through a PC (running Vista)?

Both my Macs see the USB drive with no problem, but so far still no dice on the PC no matter what I try.

3. davricho macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, USB drive with 2 partitions (1 HFS, 1 FAT) connected to time capsule which is connected to Vista Pc via ethernet.

4. rittchard thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: I got this working last night. Kind of. I say kind of because it seems a little flaky so I'm leery to say it's "solved."

I can't even tell you exactly how I got it to show up. I was playing with the Airport utility on the PC, and suddenly I seemed to see it. The only thing different I did was enter the WORKGROUP name in the Disks/File Sharing tab. But I don't think that was what did it.

What I *think* is the key is to simply Add Network Drive/Folder - they tricky part being what is the exact correct name to use. In my case, it turned out it was a folder structure, with the TC's name truncated for some odd reason. It was something like:

//rittchards-T/WD Passport/

where the full name of the TC was "rittchard's Time Capsule" and my new drive's name was automatically given as WD Passport (that's the product name). I have no idea how or why it decided to truncate the title and change spaces to dashes.

I also had some trouble transferring files from the TC to the USB drive. At this point, I'm thinking I may not stick with this configuration unless I hear it has been specifically addressed. Presently it seems not worth the effort.