Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rselover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
Simple Question: I connected a USB drive ["Harwood"] to my Time Capsule to make it accessible over the network. Is it Backed up?

Complex Question: How do I access its backup via Time Machine?

More Complex: Of course Harwood died. How can I recover the data? I never chose to 'exclude it' but also never checked.

I have another external drive ["eGo" - only connected to MacBook via USB] - when I browse to the Data portion of my Time Capsule, and launch the backups as disk images, I can see that eGo was backed up, but not Harwood.

I used to connect Harwood by USB, and again never chose to exclude it so far as I can remember, but I just don't see it in the backups, the way I do eGo.

I ran this by a Mac tech support buddy, and he thinks I'm screwed, but I'm desperate... [We disassembled Harwood and connected it via a SATA adapter, but he said he heard the 'spinning wheel of death' - we tried a few wrist twists and a controlled drop to revitalize it, but no luck]

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Simple Question: I connected a USB drive ["Harwood"] to my Time Capsule to make it accessible over the network. Is it Backed up?

Complex Question: How do I access its backup via Time Machine?

More Complex: Of course Harwood died. How can I recover the data? I never chose to 'exclude it' but also never checked.

I have another external drive ["eGo" - only connected to MacBook via USB] - when I browse to the Data portion of my Time Capsule, and launch the backups as disk images, I can see that eGo was backed up, but not Harwood.

I used to connect Harwood by USB, and again never chose to exclude it so far as I can remember, but I just don't see it in the backups, the way I do eGo.

I ran this by a Mac tech support buddy, and he thinks I'm screwed, but I'm desperate... [We disassembled Harwood and connected it via a SATA adapter, but he said he heard the 'spinning wheel of death' - we tried a few wrist twists and a controlled drop to revitalize it, but no luck]

Plugging in a USB drive to a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme does not back it up. You would have had to have some sort of backup plan in place.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
External drives are excluded by default. You have to manually include them (In time machine preferences).

There is no software running on the time capsule to backup a drive connected to it. You would have to run an app on one of your Macs, like CCC, and set it up to backup that drive on a schedule.

Sorry, sometimes freezing the drive helps, but it sounds like a dead drive. Dunno if one of those data recovery services can retrieve any data off of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.