time capsule useage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pieseller, Feb 1, 2008.

1. pieseller macrumors member

im not too technically gifted, but i was hoping i could get some clarification.

is it possible to use the time capsule (or air port extreme really) as a wireless router without a modem. by this i mean do you just plug in the phone line direct to the device and then go or do you HAVE to add you own modem. the apple website says you need to plug in your modem to time capsule to make it work, but it didnt elaborate.

any comments would be much appreciated.

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

If its the same as the Airport Extreme Base (which from what I can gather, it is), then No, you will need your own modem. Its a pain in the UK, since nearly all ISP provided modems are either USB, or are wireless network hubs anyway.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You need your own modem / dsl or cable bridge - the Airport Extreme or Time Capsule only acts as a router.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

By 'modem' they were probably referring to DSL/Cable modem. Those 2 items are referred to as modems and since the APE is a broadband router, there's an assumption that when the term 'modem' is used, it's understood it's a cable/dsl modem.

I can see how this can confuse a dial up user since dial up users refer to modem as the dial up device. For those type modems you'll need some other type of config which usually involved connecting it to your computer.

The APE broadband config would be [DSL/Cable modem] -- [APE] -- [computer]

You CAN use the APE as just a local network device with no internet connectivity whatsoever. Just have like a bunch of computers sharing local network resources. Any one of those computers can have a dial up modem for unique internet access but any sharing will have to be done on the computer level.

5. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

So what we're saying here is that I can't plug a DSL cable running from my phone line to the Time Capsule/AEBS to connect to the internet? I have to use a modem as a bridge, right?

Well could I use the Netgear router I'm currently connected to the internet with, and run an ethernet from it into the Time Capsule? That'd work, right? And it'd give me 'N' grade wireless as well?

6. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

you need a DSL/Cable modem to connect to the internet first. all the router does is distribute the connection to other computers.

you cannot connect a router to a router and daisy chain them. you can connect a switch/hub to a router to get additional ports.

7. macleod199 macrumors 6502

You can do that, but as the other poster noted you'd have to run it as a 'switch' rather than a 'router.' All that means is that you have to turn off e.g. the firewall and IP address distribution features. You do lose some of the nice firewall/port mapping features of the AEBS by doing that, though.