Time Capsule - Using It As A Wireless Backup Only

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EYESPORTS, Jun 5, 2009.

1. EYESPORTS macrumors member

My home is setup as a wired/wireless network. I have a Linksys router in the basement. Most desktops are wired and the notebooks are wireless.

Question: I would like to use Time Capsule as a wireless backup for my MacBook Pro. I do not intend to use it as a router - only for backup purposes. I would have the Time Capsule wired into the network (thru a CAT5 jack) - but would like to know if this would allow it to work as a wireless backup only - not using it as a router. The location of the Time Capsule would be in the same room where my wireless notebook (Mac) is - - - all on the same network.

Thanks for your reply.

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

It is possible, but a waste of money. If all you want is a NAS drive, there are less expensive ways to do this than to buy a Time Capsule; you just end up also paying for a wifi router that you don't need.

3. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i agree. just look around the net for NAS (network attached storage) routers, such a drobbo or western digital models

4. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

I have a NAS (Buffalo 1TB TeraStation) already. I thought that it would make things alot easier for my wife and I who have separate Mac's to be able to backup *automatically and wireless*.