Time Capsule---Using Time Capsule on an already existing wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robhodge3, Nov 6, 2011.

1. robhodge3 macrumors newbie

I recently started a business that is requiring me to make frequent backups. I thought that the time capsule would be a great option for my multi-Mac home where work is done over several apple devices.

My problem is that I share a wireless Internet signal with my landlord. I want to continue to use our shared intent connection as the cost is included in my rent.

1. Can the time capsule pull her wireless signal that is sent to my apartment and allow me to create my own network?

2. If option 1 isn't possible, can I continue to use our shared wireless signal, wirelessly connect my devices to the time capsule, and back everything up without ever using the time capsule to send a wireless signal?

Thanks for any help!

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

using the airport utility you should be able to choose to "extend" a wireless network.

You'll want to ensure you give the time capsule the same wifi network name as what your landlord has in place, and give it the same wifi password and have it broadcast on the same wifi channel for as seamless an experience as possible for you.

Keep in mind you can assign an independent password for both accessing the admin settings of the time capsule and accessing the backup/disk portion of the time capsule, which I would suggest doing if you are in a shared environment.

You may also wish to consider not using a time capsule, and simply get a few external hard drives or a multi-drive RAID external setup so you have backups of your backups. It's your business. Keep it safe.

3. robhodge3 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Martlets93 macrumors member

Martlets93

Are there detailed instructions somewhere on doing this?