Time Capsule v Other External HD as iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kirky.boy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kirky.boy macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm going to finally get round to converting all of my CD's to MP3, but there will too much to fit on my MacBook. I therefore need some kind of external storage (which I need anyway, to back up my MacBook).

If buy a Time-Capsule or other wi-fi enabled external HD:
    1) Will I be able to play songs from this external iTunes library from my MacBook ?
    2) How do I connect the HD/Time Capsule to my stereo amp, so that I open my MacBook (or iPhone) and play songs from the HD/Time Capsule, through my Amp and speakers ?

:confused:

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

1) Yes, but I do not recommend a Time Capsule solely for this purpose. A NAS might be a better solution. Or a hard drive that you can connect to your MacBook once you are home. Also be aware that you will not have access to your songs if you are away from the NAS or do not have your HDD connected.

2) You cannot do this with a Time Capsule, but an AirPort Express will allow you to connect speakers to stream music using iTunes.

3. kirky.boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - thanks for the reply.

So, i'd wifi from my MacBook into a NAS/HDD, to access the iTunes library. The Airport Express would be wired into my amp. Would the NAS/HDD need to be wired into the airport express ? Or would the MacBook wifi the songs (from the NAS/HDD) into the Airport Express ?

:)