Time Capsule very slow on Win XP and ok on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kurtintokyo, Apr 4, 2009.

1. kurtintokyo macrumors newbie

hi

I got a new 1 TB time capsule. Setup is fine, it is connected as both via ethernet cable network in my apartment and wireless. My problem: fast enough under Mac OSX, but when using Win XP (boot camp on Mac and also on separate XP Machine) it is VERY slow. I.e. reading photos etc. takes ages (using Picasa. Picasa Mac is fine).
    So please help - why is it so much slower under XP than Mac?
    Thanks
    Kurt

2. fonso macrumors newbie

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the exact same model running the 7.3.2 firmware (7.4.1 breaks SAMBA shares). It is frustrating. I keep getting latency errors at speedtest.net. iMac and MBPro work fine under OS X. I have experienced the problem with Windows XP SP3 on 3 machines -- the two macs in bootcamp, and a Durabook laptop.

3. kurtintokyo thread starter macrumors newbie

nope...

Sadly no answer and no resolution. Sometimes resetting the router seemed to help and it has got a bit better now... but still rather frustrating.

cheers

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Maybe if people searched the forums, they wouldn't need to wait for answers?
    I'm fairly sure you are not the only users to experience difficulties with TM and Windows.

5. fonso macrumors newbie

Considering the proximity between our posts, are you, by any chance, using AVG Antivirus? One of the symptoms I noticed on 2 of my systems was that even after I typed a URL and pressed enter, Firefox would ignore the command and wouldn't navigate to the URL. It probably took an average of 5 presses for any response to occur, and browsing was extremely slow.

After doing a bit of googling, I found out that the unresponsiveness was a documented issue with AVG. Disabling AVG didn't do anything, so I proceeded to uninstall AVG along with its plug-ins. After rebooting, everything seems fine now.

6. kurtintokyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Yes, in fact I am using AVG antivirus! At the office now, so cannot check, but browsing as such is fine, it was more an issue of connecting to the drive to view photos etc.
    But let me try and see if unininstalling AVG will help. Thanks for the hint!

7. capps macrumors member

I have noticed that AVG, while a nice free anti virus solution, messed up a lot of stuff.