Time Capsule very weak signal strength

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Ammar666, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Ammar666 macrumors newbie

Ammar666

So I replaced my 6 year old $40 WiFi n only Tp-Link router with a $350 Time Capsule.

I have tried all possible channel combinations, tried placing the router in all possible locations in my house. The signal strength of the TC is always weaker than the TP-Link. I have used several WiFi diagnostics apps to measure signal strength of my connected devices, and whenever they are connected to my old router, the strength is weaker than when I connect to TC.

I'm obviously testing 2.4GHz only here since my old router doesn't have AC 5GHz.

2. satcomer, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Where is your Time capsule, near a wall or the center of a room?

3. Ammar666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ammar666

It's near a wall. It's not really possible to place it dead centre of a room because of the wires that are connected to it. But regardless, it's placed exactly where my TP-Link router was. It should at least perform better than that shouldn't it?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

With any wireless router near a wall is having half it's wireless doing nothing! If near a wall make a cheaply made parabolic shiny (some use aluminum foil) near the device antenna to straighten the wireless to the whole house!