Time capsule via wireless router question from noob

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jstanford99, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jstanford99 macrumors newbie

I have a Motorola wireless router/modem I run ethernet to my Mac desktop. I also have a 1TB Time Capsule I use to run time machine backups. I used to use the TC via wireless but I would like to use it via ethernet for quicker backups. I plugged the TC into an open port on the router and I got nothing..... My Mac didn't act like it was there. What is the best way to achieve this setup? I do not wish to use it to start a network, just as a backup disc. So my current setup is phone cable to router/modem...ethernet to Mac...ethernet from router/modem to TC... where am I going wrong? please help:(

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If I were setting that up, I would definitely connect the TC to the Motorola via ethernet. Additionally, I would set the TC to extend the existing network via being in "bridge mode". Your Motorola will still be "controlling" the home network...and you'll have the good wifi signal the TC provides for your other devices. Make sure the two wifis aren't conflicting channel-wise.

Back to your question, did you start Airport Utility and look for the TC that way?

3. jstanford99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked on Airport utility it just says "no configured Airport base stations have been found" when I go into network from the settings icon it shows ethernet but thats because the Mac is plugged into the modem/router via ethernet

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think you're going to have to reset the TC. Should show up once it completes the reset.

5. jstanford99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally got it....

So, I ended up talking with of all things the Apple guru at Best Buy. He said here's your problem.....
    hook your TC to the modem/router...hook Mac into ethernet port on TC...create network on TC...turn off wireless on modem/router...ta daah!
    It took some time, getting everything to sync up in a certain order but it just started working, not sure what I did and in what order but it works like a champ and is very fast like it should be. TC backs up via ethernet and Mac runs off ethernet as well....Very strong wireless signal throughout house!
    Happy camper