Time Capsule vs AEBS + Drobo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .mark., Apr 18, 2008.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

I was wondering if there are any benefits to time capsule vs an aebs + drobo. I'm considering buying aebs+drobo but I want the functionality that TC provides with time machine, but I don't like the lack of protection the data has on TC - if the HD crashes then bye bye! I'm aware that recently apple released an upgrade that helps aebs play nicely with time machine - is this now the case that they work ok?

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

1. AEBS supports external drive for Time Machine.
    2. Drobo is advertised as Time Machine compatible.
    3. Drobo has satisfaction guarantee.
    4. Drobo price does not include hard drives.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Even though the AirPort Extreme Base Station can cope with Time Machine, it is so far not supported by Apple.

4. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I use a Drobo with time machine and there is absolutely no problem. It started off directly plugged into my Mac via USB. When I got my Airport Extreme, I then got a Droboshare to put my Drobo on the network, and continue to use time machine, and have the benefit of having access to all my data with any computer on the network.

In theory you should be able to directly connect to any gigabit router via USB, but droboshare does all the management. I really like it when i don't have you use that fluff in my head, some might refer to as a brain.:eek: