Time Capsule vs AEBS Gigabit N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mctheriot, Mar 1, 2008.

1. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

Readers Digest Version - Great product, but performance is 10 - 15% less than my original ABES.

Ok, I had a an ABES that was running my whole wireless network. It lives in the basement and give me great coverage and speed on both the 1st and second story. I wanted to separate my G devices and setup a dedicated N for my Macs. Got a Time Capsule yesterday and tested it all different kinds of ways. Now, I really like the Time Capsule but found it's performance is not as good as my original ABES.

I have no trouble connecting with the Time Capsule anywhere in my house but the strength and through-put is about 10 - 15% less when I'm on the 2nd floor.

I moved it up to the first floor and this works fine for my house now. The Time Capsule on the 1st floor gives me the same signal I get from my original ABES in the basement.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Can't say I've seen that here, though its only been running since about 3:30 PM.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Maybe a stupid question, but why would you care about making a N only network, does have a g device on it slow everyone down or something?

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yes.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

While the B/G devices will run at full speed, the N devices will only run at a peak (theoretical) of 130Mbit/sec, while an N-only network gets up to 270Mbit/sec theoretical.

6. rayward macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone which (as I understand it) forces a downgrade of my network to g speeds from n speeds. If I add a Time Capsule to replace my current AEBS as router, can I use the AEBS for a separate network for non n devices? How is this done with only one internet source?

Thanks in advance.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It shows a lot of the set up options here.

Have a look at the "I want to create an additional network" option.

8. mctheriot thread starter macrumors regular

mctheriot

That's what I did. Time Capsule makes the set-up pretty easy (it actually asks you if you want to do this option - connect TC via ethernet cable to your existing AEB. Just make sure that the TC (or whatever the second AEB in the chain is) is set to "Bridge Mode" (Connection Sharing - Off)

Mark