Time Capsule vs AEBS+HD speed difference

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hohohong, Aug 5, 2009.

1. hohohong macrumors 6502

I searched, there's a few thread about this topic, but nothing about the actual speed of file transferring.

So, how much faster is TC vs AEBS+HD?

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Are you planning on using the AEBS AirDisk as a Time Machine volume? If so, to my knowledge, Apple does not support such usage (although people have unofficially been able to skirt around it by first plugging in the device locally, setting it as the Time Machine volume, disconnecting it before [or after] backing up, and then reattaching it to the AEBS).

Other than that, I'd imagine any differences in speed, other than those related to the hard drives themselves, would be negligible--but I've never tried.

3. Executor macrumors member

Apple issued an update early 2008 that allows people to use Airdisk with time machine just fine. Like the OP, I too wonder if there is a speed advantage gained by using Time Capsule instead of a plain Airport Extreme Base with a usb drive attached. Anyone knows? Please chime in.

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

As far as I can see, this "support" is still unofficial. Actually, Apple still claims you can't do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2038

Still, after an update released in 2008 (probably the one to which you are referring), some people managed to get it working, often by trying the steps I mentioned above. But unless Apple's own support article is wrong, there is no official support--if it works, it's merely incidental. :)

5. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

^that's strange. I set up my wireless time machine with no guide. just set up my AEBS network drive, then set it for time machine. go figure.

I'm also wondering if there are any advantages. I bought a ministack enclosure to put under my AEBS, but I'd rather have a single time capsule because it would be one less power adapter and also be white(ministack is silver and matches the mini) and match my hifi. If I can swoop on a deal for a 500gb Time Capsule, I'll swap my 1.5tb drive, then sell the 500gb with my enclosure.

6. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I'd like to see this data too. I'm wondering if everyone has either a TC or an AEBD+HD, so no one can do the comparison.