Time Capsule vs. AEBS+HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by makismagoo99, Feb 28, 2009.

1. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Hey all, I'm wondering if there's any disadvantage to buying an AEBS and a USB hard drive vs. buying a Time Capsule. I want to use it primarily for Time Machine, and I like the idea of expandability when the backup drive is full. Anyone else do this?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

there will be no disadvantage in terms of speed as the wifi is the bottleneck (slowest interface). the only disadvantage i can think of is the wire clutter with having an AEBS+HDD. the AEBS is smaller and more compact than the TC though.

3. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Cool. Wire clutter isn't really a problem, as my modem, router, etc. are all hidden behind my desk. I mainly wanted to verify that you can indeed use Time Machine with the AEBS option, as I can't seem to find anything about it on Apple's info page.

4. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Thanks! On a quasi-related note, I want to use my current router (Linksys WRT-54g) to handle the wifi for non-802.11n capable devices I use so I don't lose the n speed for my MacBook. What's the best way to go about doing that?

5. Fishermanbb macrumors newbie

1. Connect your modem to the AEBS through the WAN port.

2. Connect a gigabit port from the AEBS to the WAN port on the Linksys

3. Set the AEBS to broadcast "N" only at 5 Mgz.

4. Dial into the Linksys and turn off DHCP Set it to broadcast B/G only at 2.4 Mgz.

For more info do a search on WDS - Wireless Distribution System......

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Only disadvantage is you no longer have a spare usb port to put another hard drive into. I use a Time Capsule for Time Machine, and have an external drive plugged in for all my media.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Time Machines back ups to AEBS+HDD setups are not supported by Apple. They currently work with the latest firmware for the AEBS but it widely reported that it was a "switch" that was flicked on and not flicked off before public release.

It's been aaaages though so I don't think Apple give a stuff to be honest.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Won't work. It has to be connected to the first LAN port on the Linksys. I have the same setup with a WRT54GS. Here's a post I sent somebody asking the same(ish) setup question:

Edit: Also, a WDS only applies when you use one or more base stations to extend the range of your network wirelessly. Since you'll be hard wiring the Linksys to the AEBS, this doesn't apply to you at all.

9. gypsymoth macrumors newbie

Dont know if it has been mentioned, but you should take notice that Apple does not officially support using the AEBS and an external HDD to run time machine.

If something goes amiss or it just flat out stops working, apple has ZERO obligation to help you out.

if you want wireless backups, get a time capsule, if you want a wireless fileserver... id still recommend a time capsule, but the AEBS/HDD option is at least supported.

personally, I use a drobo with droboshare connected into my Extreme to serve files to my macs and Xbox 360 and then just have a little 200gb pocket drive to run time machine once a week or so. (I also use an express to connect my printer and AirTunes)

one last thing to remember:
    Backing something up to a drive in your house isnt REALLY backing it up. unless you have an online backup solution, a fire, or flood, or whatever can eliminate that back up. the solution to this is backing up online. Services like Carbonite, or MobileMe, along with your hard drive/time capsule running time machine is the only REAL way to back your stuff up. I have too many friends that have their backup plugged into the same outlet as their machine, and are just one lightning strike away from losing everything.

/leo laporte rant

10. bubbamike macrumors newbie

11. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Thanks for this idea...I'd never heard of drobo before. I too have an xbox360 that I would love to share music files with more easily than running my XP box constantly.

Thanks for your help as well, if I end up going this way that's exactly what I needed to know. I thought for some reason that I'd have to delve into the open-source firmware realm (DD-WRT or Tomato) to set this up. Not that I'm against it...it's just more work than I'm willing to do.:p

Yes! Step-by-step = foolproof, haha! Always good when you're doing something for the first time.

12. PD3 macrumors newbie

Will the HD sleep?

To anyone with the setup of having a HD attached to the airport, will the HD ever sleep or will it constantly spin. This would certainly prove extra unneeded wear. I assume that the TM will "sleep" when it is not in use.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks.

13. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Well, I guess today's news solves one of my questions:)...Kinda wish they would have dropped the price or upped the capacity of the time capsule, that would make the decision easier.

14. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Crashplan to the AEBS/HDD combination would work well though, especially if you could run at N speeds.