Time Capsule vs. Airport Extreme Dual Band base/ext

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RaceTripper, Jul 4, 2009.

1. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I just bought a new Time Capsule and an Airport Extreme. Both are the newfangled dual-band type. At the moment the AEX is the main base station, connected to my DSL modem in the Living Room. The TC extends the AEX network and is in my office.

The instructions suggest the TC should not be a network client and rather be the main base station, and to make the AEX extend the network. How much difference will there be in Time Machine performance between the two topologies?

I would really prefer having the TC in my office, so I can attach via gigabit ethernet to the TC when I'm working there with my MBP. I cannot move the DSL modem to my office since I don't have a phone line there (it's really an upstairs bedroom).

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I think it all depends on how you intend to use your TC.

If it for strictly the TM function - then I don't feel it matters where you have it or if it is wired/wireless.

Yes, it is significantly slower as a wireless back-up; but since it runs in the background I don't seem to mind.

However, if you're going to use it as a NAS (meaning besides TM - you will use it to share files, etc) - I would stick to using it wired.

3. RaceTripper thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't think you understood my question, and maybe I didn't express it clearly. I'm not asking about wired vs. wireless. I understand the tradeoffs in that regard.

What I'm asking is: In terms of wireless topology, is there a performance difference between making the TC the primary base station and using the AEX to extend the network vs. the reverse (AEX as primary base station, with TC as the wireless extender). Apple's printed insert on the TC says the TC should not be a wireless client, but what do they really mean by a wireless client. Is using it to extend a wireless-n network considered a client?

I prefer to keep the topology I have: AEX as primary base station connected to DSL modem, TC to extends the wireless network established by the AEX.

4. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

In your case, put the TC in "bridged" mode and connect the GigE cable from the GigE port to the First GigE port of the TC (not the WAN port). Now that the TC is just using hardware to switch the GigEs and the internal 802.11 channels (actually bridged too), TC will operate at max speed. ie No cpu cycles wasted to handle routing , route tables, etc etc.

I got mine configured in this way after 3 tries of the other way around.

5. RaceTripper thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks, but that is not want I want to do. I want to keep it with TC and AEX as an extended wireless network. The whole point of that is not having to run ethernet cable across the house. One device is downstairs in the living room, the other upstairs in an office.

I am not asking how to change my network topology. Just this: is there a performance difference with Time Machine on a TC when it is extending a wireless network vs. when it is the primary base station in a wireless network?

Which of the following has better Time Machine performance, or is there no difference?

DSL->TC )))->))) AEX vs. DSL->AEX )))->))) TC