Time Capsule VS Airport Extreme + external HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Turian.Spectre, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

Hi, I own a 2TB Seagate external HDD. I want to make it a Home network drive for use by me and my family. (both Mac and PC). I already own an airport express but I believe it can only share a printer through its usb b/c it doesn't recognize the drive. What I want to buy is a router into which I can plug in my Seagate drive to share. I was looking at the prices and Time capsule isn't that much higher than Airport Extreme. Figure extra storage is not going to hurt me (I need a lot). But I can not figure out if Time Capsule can be used as a router (I think it can) AND also be able to use my external HDD connected to it to share even more drive space.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. From:http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1515
    Uses for the USB port of Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I own both an AE and a TC. I turned off the wifi on the TC and use the AE as my router. I prefer not to expose my NAS to the ravages of being in the same device as my router. I also wanted the new guest network feature that is available on the newer AE and didn't want to buy the TC all over again just to get that feature. Now that the two are separate, I can upgrade one without touching the other. It would be nice if Apple offered a NAS solution without the router 'cuz that's how I use my TC.

4. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Just buy a NAS router and plug the HDD in it.

Netgear WNR 3500L
    or
    ASUS RT-N16

These are only like $80 and are fantastic routers too.

5. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

Thanks GGJStudios. I guess I have to get Extreme for my use. Thanks for the reply SidBala, but i didnt ask for any alternatives. I only wanted to know if the TC can be used as router and have another hard disk plugged in through USB port or if I need to get Extreme station.

6. SidBala macrumors 6502a

It's fine if you want to stick with the TC. But I am just saying that there are way better options on the market that let you do the same thing.

7. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

googled them both. the netgear one is about the same price, and NOT dual band. the asus looks pretty good though, same white color also. thanks, i will keep it in mind while i do more research

8. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Not to nitpick, but the Netgear is ~$80 - less than half the Airport Extreme.

9. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

You can get an inexpensive NAS solution that will work with both Mac OS X and Windows. However, don't expect performance that is even remotely close to directly connected USB 2.0 speed even if you use gigabit ethernet. If you add in wireless connectivity, your solution will be fine for small file transfers but painful for large file transfers or backups.

I don't know what your needs are, and you may already be aware of this but thats just something to be aware of.

10. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

11. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

thats the only place I buy from =D refurbished is just as good as new. At one point I bought a family member a macbook, when it came it was damaged, I called them they told me to go to an apple store, I went there and they gave me a brand new one, although I paid for a refurbished one :D

12. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334
    thats the first place I looked. Amazon however has it under 80. and you ARE nitpicking =) either way, this particular product doesnt support my needs.

13. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Well then you looked in the wrong place. It shows how very little research you have done. It only extends as far as the first Google result.

But, to each his own. Buy whatever you want.

14. kangaroo5383 macrumors newbie

15. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I own a Time Capsule and an Extreme (and an original Airport dome but it's not currently in use). My Time Capsule in my office is connected to my cable modem and is set to manage the dns for my network (so, it's a router). My Extreme in my living room is set as an extension for that network and has an external usb hard drive on it that I can see from all my computers. You can't use Time Machine backup with an Extreme+hard drive setup but you can attach a hard drive to an extreme and use it as a shared file drive.

16. JeBu macrumors newbie

You can use an Extreme with an external hard drive, it works perfectly fine. That is my setup so I know from own experience. I decided to go that way because it was cheapier and more flexible than the TC

17. JeBu macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention that Extreme + external hard drive works fine with Timemachine