Time Capsule vs. AirPort Extreme w/ external drive backups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Murphy'sLaw, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Murphy'sLaw macrumors member

I'm interested in getting either the Time Capsule or AirPort extreme to first, allow me to print and backup wirelessly from my MacBook that I'm using for school, and second to replace my old linksys router.

I also like the idea of being able to use the TC to backup my MB and iMac. I imagine I can get the same thing done with the AirPort extreme with an attached external hard drive, I currently have a 500GB drive connected to the iMac that is full.

So my question is which is the better option? The all-in-one TC, or the AirPort Extreme with the external backup? Price seems to be pretty similar for both options, but the reviews of the TC on apple's site are making me concerned about the reliability of the TC as a server and backup.

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Neither are good solutions IMO. The AEBS doesnt support Time machine backups to an external, but you can get it to work. The problem is the backups have a tendency to corrupt themselves after a while, so much so that I stopped using it. The TC is great, if it lasts but seeing as how they are known to die at around the 18mo mark, it still doesn't seem like a good idea.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

The best solution, in my opinion, is to get (any) router and a NAS that supports Time Machine backups out of the box. I use my TC now (as I purchased it at launch), but had I known the issues I'd have with it (has been replaced by Apple due to dead PSU), I would have opted for an AEBS with an AFP/TM capable NAS.

Also, have more than just one backup.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've been using my AEBS / USB HD for Time Machine back up for the last couple of years without any issues. I didn't have to "get it to work" either, I pointed Time Machine at the HD and it just worked. :)

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I used mine for about 2 years before it started corrupting. After that I couldn't get solid backups for more than a week. Some may have different experiences, but it's never a guarantee.

6. bluesteel macrumors 6502

ditto.

7. webpoet73 macrumors regular

TC corruptions?

I think that is more an issue if backing up wirelessly. Perhaps the corruption comes from intermittent issues with wireless networks. I have had no issues with it wired. I know that kind of defeats the purpose, but my iMac is now wired to the TC. (My Macbook was backing up to it, but out of space. That always did backup wireless.)

I am considering an AE because I like the simultaneous dual-band and guest network functionality and is cheaper than a TC. Can use any USB HDD with it. Hopefully, the drive attached to the AE will serve as a TM backup drive. I have read that not everybody has made this work.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have an extreme (2 actually). at first i used a usb connected drive for TC backups. i found this to be finicky and inconsistent. i now daisy chain my three external drives via firewire, including the TC drive.