Time Capsule Vs. Airport Extreme Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gala, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Gala macrumors regular

I have an 8 yr old Linksys router that has always worked great. We recently moved and it seems that the house is too big for the router. I grabbed a Time Capsule (because I wanted a backup ability & figured the wi-fi would be better too). With the TC I get okay signal in the area of the house that had none. Could I expect an Airport Extreme to have a better range since it's strictly a router?

2. c2c4c macrumors newbie

I doubt it's any better range than the TC, probably the same components. Someone else may know.

Why don't you use both routers to extend the range? Set one up as an access point.

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I use an Airport Extreme (with a 1TB external hd) and an Airport Express to extend my wireless. Works pretty well.

4. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

The time capsule is basically a AirPort Extreme with a hard drive added in. They have all of the same components so if you switched to a AirPort Extreme it wouldn't increase the signal.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

AirPort Extreme & Time Capsules currently are like for like as for as range and signal go.

The new express is also much more improved, but since you may have a large area to cover in your home, a single AE would not be ideal.

I think you should be fine. A time capsule is good if you have multiple portables and you want convenient back up, but id say a AirPort Extreme and possibly One Express (If the house is large) would be perfect and cost effective.

6. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know how to do that and I was going to take that router to my office. My office router was set up by our PC company and they made a network. For some reason all of my families Apple products don't hook up to it. When I called support Apple said the router must be WPA set up (or something like that) and Apple doesn't play well with that set up. I don't know enough about what the PC company did to go in and change the settings.