Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Besides the obvious, would there be any benefit in getting a Time Capsule versus using my own USB drive with an Airport Extreme?

I am thinking of getting the 500GB TC or buying the extreme and a 1TB HD for about the same price.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I went with the TC because of less mess (i.e. one less USB cable/power brick to deal with) and because Apple will support you if you have issues backing up. (They won't support Time Machine via AEBS + external drive).

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I went with the TC because of less mess (i.e. one less USB cable/power brick to deal with) and because Apple will support you if you have issues backing up. (They won't support Time Machine via AEBS + external drive).

'zactly. Get the TC.

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Hmm, it just seems pricey, thats all. For the price of the 500GB model, I can get AEB + 1TB hd. But I see what you guys are saying about support.

If I get apple care for my MBP, does that cover the TC as well?

Doctor Doom

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Castle Doom, Latveria
Personally i believe in keeping everything separate, so if anything goes wrong you can easily identify the problem part and replace it. Also if you already have an external hard drive then your saving yourself some good money right there.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Personally i believe in keeping everything separate, so if anything goes wrong you can easily identify the problem part and replace it. Also if you already have an external hard drive then your saving yourself some good money right there.
In this case, though, the problems many people run into using the Extreme with a separate drive can be completely avoided using the Time Capsule. And apparently A LOT of people have problems with Express + HD - and Apple doesn't support that setup.

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
OK you guys talked me into it. Anyone point me in the right direction for a super deal on the Time Capsule?

I found it at an e-tailer for $285.00 shipped with 500GB.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
If i had it to do all over again I'd go Time Capsule over an external drive. Backups wirelessly are not a given with an external plugged into airport extreme. My old WD drive worked and then died. My new WD drive does not work wirelessly for backups.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I use an Airport Extreme plus 1TB USB drive (WD MyBook) for TimeMachine backups for 3 Macs. All works just great and was completely fuss free to set up.

I'd do it this way again if I was starting out from scratch. But I can see how folks might prefer a single box solution. However my Airport base station and hard drive live in a cupboard anyway, so I couldn't really care less if its a single box or 2 myself.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I got a 500GB Time Capsule and later upgraded it by slapping in a 1TB Hard Drive...

So for $100 less than the price of a 1TB Time Capsule I got just that, plus an extra 500GB HD. Good deal, aye?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I keep reading this repeatedly. Where do you get this from? Why would it even be allowed if they don't support it? It no longer requires any workarounds, it just works out of the box. I could understand non-support when people were adding files to the external drive to "trick" Time Machine into making backups, but that is n o longer the case.

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Oh I figured opening the Time Capsule voided the warranty.

Also, as far as I know, currently the external HD solution is supported without any workarounds.

Still kicking it around, not sure what I am going to do yet. More storage is better though, so I may still do the AEB + External instead.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Hmm so if I get the LACIE 1TB like this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Will that be able to handle Time Machin back ups hooked to an AEB?

No reason why it shouldn't work. However, that has FireWire and eSata ports as well as USB. You only need USB. If you look for a USB only version of the drive (they do exist) you'll likely find it even cheaper.

^^ I'd also like to know this answer. I don't want to buy yet another external to have it not easily wirelessly backup over AEBS. The WD drive I bought doesn't.

I don't see why a WD drive shouldn't work? Im using a Western Digital MyBook USB drive with my Airport Extreme and it works perfectly. So long as the drive is formatted correctly (I didn't get it right first go) then it's fine for TimeMachine.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
I am still confused. so with TC in can do wireless backups, but I can't when I hook up an HD to the AE? Why not?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I am still confused. so with TC in can do wireless backups, but I can't when I hook up an HD to the AE? Why not?
Yes, both can do wireless backups either via Time Machine or a backup app. The TC can do backups to either the internal or external disk drives, while of course the AEBS requires an external disk. Apple seems to only "officially" support Time Machine backups on a Time Capsule or on another Mac running Leopard using a shared disk; what this really means nobody really knows.

Socorso

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
multiple drives

I want to be able to have multiple drives hooked up to an AEBS. One (or two) would store my data, the other would be my backup drive (Time machine plus backup software) is this possible with the new AEBS? Or should I get a TC instead and use its internal for backup?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I want to be able to have multiple drives hooked up to an AEBS. One (or two) would store my data, the other would be my backup drive (Time machine plus backup software) is this possible with the new AEBS? Or should I get a TC instead and use its internal for backup?
I have never personally tried it, but it should work (although it would require an external USB hub, preferably a good powered hub). I have a single 750GB drive hooked to my AEBS, and split into 2 partitions (one for Time Machine and one for Other).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.