Time Capsule vs Mac Mini vs Something Else?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seanhess, Mar 5, 2008.

1. seanhess macrumors newbie

Hey everybody, I've been planning on getting a time capsule to do
    1) Backup my 2 macs
    2) Host shared files (specifically, music, pictures and video)

I really want Time Machine to work well, and I really want the shared files to be *fast*.

So I've been thinking, and wondering if a Time Capsule is really the best option. Couldn't you do something similar with a Mac Mini? Granted, it isn't as big, but price aside, would it be faster or slower than the TC?

Finally, I've heard several people mention RAID and other technologies. Could I use something like that with Time Machine? Would it be faster than Time Capsule? What would you recommend?

Thanks

2. err404 macrumors 68020

I went the Mac Mini route. It allows for Time Machine backups and is more configurable for file/printer sharing. Another big advantage for me is that I can host other services like a personal website, FTP, web proxy, torrents, newgroup agents, iTunes, etc. In a pinch you can also use it as a G router. You can run it 'headless' and remote in for any administration, so you don't need a dedicated KVM.
    File sharing is also orders-of-magnitude faster then a TC.

If you want to get fancy, you put it on your entertainment center and use it as a media server with optical out and HDMI at 1080p.

You can save money and get a used or refurbished one. Any of the Intel C2D models will be able to handle all of the above with ease.

3. seanhess thread starter macrumors newbie

You really think (or know) it would be orders of magnitude faster? I had a mac mini before, plugged into my linksys router, and it was really slow. It was a G4 though -- do you think that might be the cause?

Hmm... that's really tempting if it is seriously that much faster.

Any other thoughts?

4. err404 macrumors 68020

Yes, but not because the mini particularly fast, rather the TC and AEBS are slow. I only recently got my mini (C2D 2ghz) and so far transfers are 'comfortably' quick, where as my AEBS is unusably slow for large files. From what I have heard the TC is in line with AEBS speed (slightly faster, but still slow).

I wish I had some objective numbers to provide, but I have not had a chance to clock it.