Time Capsule vs. Third-Party NAS Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarcG, Apr 8, 2008.

1. MarcG macrumors newbie

I have a home network of a new iMac and two laptops running Windows. I need a semi-remote backup system, i.e. a 1 TB hard drive that I can locate in a closet or basement so that I'll have back-up in the event of theft or other loss of the computers. A wired or wireless network drive seems the answer, although I do not need an additional wireless router. in particular, the network drive must be a client and not the primary router.

In searching the Apple support forums, there seems to be considerable frustration over such a configuration, although it seems feasible after enough effort. Another option is a third-party solution, such as the D-Link D-323. There may be other such solutions.

I would appreciate some feedback on this project. I don't mind paying the premium for the Apple solution, but it seems somewhat problematical.

Marc

2. X district X macrumors newbie

listen the best advice i can offer you is to NOT buy a time capsule, i have spent at least 6 hours over the last 2 nights trying to sort this friggen thing out, it is sooooo stupid. I never thought i would have to be writing anything bad about apple products but this thing takes the biscuit.

seriously : STEER CLEAR