Time Capsule w Linksys WPC300N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shamu, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Shamu macrumors newbie

Need a bit of help here... bought the new Time Capsule ready to take advantage of N network... but the Wireless PC card only recognizes the network type as Wireless-G... Did I do something wrong in setup? How can I adjust to enjoy under Wireless-N? Thanks for your help...

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have only N-devices on your network, you can force the wireless to N-only.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Assuming you have a wireless N card on your PC, and assuming you've set up a dual band network with your Time Capsule, you should be able to utilize the 802.11n 5GHz band. As I am not familiar with the new TC (I have last gen TC), I'm not sure how you'd set it up for this, but I do know how to make the PC recognize the 5GHz band.

On my Sony VAIO laptop, I had to click the LAN icon (green icon in status bar of Windows) and select the 5GHz option. Prior to doing this, it would not detect the network as the wireless card in the PC was not set to look for it. That may be the case in your situation which would explain why it only detects the 2.4GHz 802.11g network.

However, if your PC's wireless card does not support 802.11n, you'll need to purchase a new card that does.

4. Shamu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for help

Tried several options, re-installed the PC Card (Wireless 300N) into several laptops with same results. So believe it is a setting problem on the Time Capsule. I've tried to used AUTO and the 802.11 a/n options but still no luck...

5. Shamu thread starter macrumors newbie

could the problem be...

that my wireless PC card is 2.4Ghz Wireless-N? Is the N network only transmitting for 5Ghz from the Time Capsule?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

You have the option to set the frequency on which the network is broadcast. Time Capsule has the ability to transmit 802.11n on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, with the newer model being able to broadcast both simultaneously.

On closer look, your adapter is only a 2.4GHz adapter, meaning it can only detect 2.4GHz bands. What you would need to do is configure your Time Capsule to broadcast the 2.4GHz as wireless N only. From my understanding, by default it broadcasts 802.11n only (5GHz) on one band, and a mixed 802.11b/g/n on the 2.4GHz band. From the sounds of it though, it seems you have yours set up to broadcast an 802.11b/g only network on your 2.4GHz band. I'm not experienced with the dual band Time Capsule, so I'll leave it to somebody with more experience to help you out. Although if you want to make the most of your Time Capsule's 5GHz option, you'll need a PCMCIA card that can operate on the 5GHz band.

Here is more information:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Time_Capsule_Early2009_Setup.pdf
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf
    http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WPC300N/download