Time Capsule went belly up. Replacement suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skorpien, Jun 20, 2010.

1. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hi all,

As the title says, my 1st gen 1.5TB (modified) TC just kicked the bucket and I'm looking for a replacement. I was currently backing up two computers to it and using it as a secondary WAP hardwired and bridged to my Extreme. Due to this, I need to have a networked solution (I don't really care about losing the extra WAP). I've tried seating it in a USB enclosure and connecting it to the AEBS for Time Machine backups, but it's been hit and miss with auto mounting and the like. I'd like to avoid buying another Time Capsule and have been hearing about/reading up on NAS solutions. Can anybody recommend a decently priced NAS that's compatible with Time Machine? Thanks all for your time.

skorpien

2. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

I've been doing some research, and based on price I really like the D-Link DNS-323. All of the reviews I've read have been great, but none mention the ability to perform Time Machine backups.

I know there are some products out there such as the WD My Book that are Time Machine compatible out of the box, but I was hoping to have some flexibility in the type of drives I can place inside, as well as running a mirrored RAID if I so choose.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3. palane macrumors member

Iomega and Lacie have some decent NAS drives that claim to be Time Machine compatible. DealMac has the 2TB Iomega Home Media for $210 at the moment, which is $50 less than I'd seen it. I think the LaCie drive is the Space 2. For style, it's a winner. One of the Poulton designed plastic bricks.

We've got an APExtreme and am planning on going that direction (now that I finally finished off the taxes).

Good luck.

BB

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Drobo FS

I love Drobo products I've been using them for the last couple of years without any problems.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have heard many great things about drobo units-

On a side note- Apple is reportedly replacing many units even out of warranty (and if you have any Apple care currently then the TC is covered) See this for more detais:

http://timecapsuledead.org/now_what.html

Even if you don't want to use a time capsule then you could always try to replace it (if you have not tried already) and then sell it.