Time Capsule: Which Network Settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sikkinixx, Dec 18, 2011.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have a current gen 2TB Time Capsule and currently have it set up with the 5ghz network N-only and the other as b/g.

Basically I have a PS3/PC wired up to it in the same room meanwhile in another room I have an iMac and another PS3/Xbox 360 along with a MBA. iPhones etc. Problem is the PS3, Xbox and iPhones can't use the 5ghz network and the G signal barely reaches them (weird house layout).

Is this setup the best way? Someone on another forum was saying that the 5ghz, while faster, doesn't have the same range. Should I configure it differently?

Will it slow things down to use the setting "802.11n (5ghz only)/ 802.11 b/g/n (2.4ghz)" vs the b/g only I am using now? I don't really need b but I can't disable it if I want to use g.

WiFi stuff confuses the hell out of me...

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You're better off making the 2.4 GHz band b/g/n. The iPhone will be able to connect at N speeds if you do. There won't be any slowdown on the 5 GHz band as the bands are completely separate. And any N devices connected to the 2.4 GHz band will only slow down when a b/g device is actively using the network.

And yes, the 2.4 GHz band has a wider range and can penetrate obstacles better than the 5 GHz band. It's strange that the 2.4 GHz band is having issues but the 5 GHz band is strong. You can always try selecting a different channel for the 2.4 GHz and see if that improves things.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I swapped it over this morning and will see how it works out. Thanks!

I was browsing around Apple's manuals and I didn't know you could use AirPort Express units to extend the TC's network though... might need to find a cheap one on Craigslist and try that out.