Time Capsule - which one to purchase 5GB 1TB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ARK, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

Im looking to get a time capsule but am curious on which storage solution to get. The 500GB or the 1TB. Currently the only computer to be backed up on the Time Capsule would be our MBP. However my wife has alluded to the idea that she may want an Air at some point. Would the 500GB be able to backup our info if we had two computers? Also can you partition the hard drive on the Time Capsule to have hard drive space that won't be taken up by Time Machine backups? P.S. I don't plan on filling up the 320GB hard drive on the MBP and I dont have a lot of media but the wife has a good amount of songs.

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I have the 500GB, and I wish I would have gotten the 1TB. I now have three different macs backing up to it, and I have run out of space.

I would say you can't go wrong with the 1TB...

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

An Air won't consume that much backup space, relatively speaking.

You can add an external to the TC if you need more space.

The 1TB is relatively overpriced for the amount of storage compared to the 500GB, which is more expensive than AirportBase + 500GB HD, but not by nearly as much.

So in your case, I would lean towards 500GB.

4. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

Just get a 500 and put a 1.5 TB

I put a 1.5 tb drive in for 117.

got it at frys. took 10 minutes to swap. works great.

5. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

So can you partition the hard drive at all for storage not intended for Time Machine backups? Also what kind of hard drives are they putting in those? RPM Brand, etc. What type of drive should I look for if I were to replace it?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can't partition it unless you open it up, take the hard drive out, seat it in an enclosure and connect it to your Mac.

Any 3.5" SATA HDD will work, regardless of size or speed. If you want to find the exact make and model of the hard drives used, do a search for Time Capsule teardowns. I do believe they were Hitachi Deskstar hard drives.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I agree, the new TC 1TB is just so overpriced, even at eBay prices. U can get a new airport extreme and install a 1.5TB for a lot less cash.