Time Capsule WiFi Question..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maclook, Nov 17, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

When I live at my brother's house, I connect to my brother's network which gives me wireless internet. Is it possible for my TC to, instead of being plugged in directly to his router with an ethernet cord, pick up his network's wireless internet and output it on it's own network?

In case that question makes no sense, what I want to do is connect to my TC's network (so I have access to the hard drive) but still get my brother's internet connection. Is this possible?

2. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Yes it is - that is what I am doing at the moment - however when I do this none of the ethernet ports on the back work - the TC simply connects to the network alllowing me to see it, but not my NAS or even let me connect my PS3 to it

3. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

plz share, how do i do this? do i use airport utility and make a new network?
    i don't need the ethernet ports to work. i just want wireless access to my files and wireless access to the internet

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

yes - you need to go through the guided setup again so you have it join a network, rather than become the primary router. It's seamless to do if your brother has an Apple router. If not, it just takes a bit of playing with to get it right.

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

See the Apple support document on "Designing AirPort Networks: Mac OS X v10.5 + Windows"

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Designing_AirPort_Networks_10.5-Windows.pdf

It gives good instructions on how to construct various network configurations