Time Capsule - Will it work for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Noisemaker, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Noisemaker Guest

I need an external hard drive, and want a wireless one. The Time Capsule is the only one I know of, so it seems the obvious choice. However, my network setup is untraditional.

I use Mobile Broadband via a Cradlepoint router for my internet network. Will I still be able to use the Time Capsule wirelessly with my MacBook Pro without connecting the Time Capsule to the Cradlepoint router via Ethernet?

Would a Time Capsule work with my setup, or would it be a hassle for me to access it?

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

As far as I know, the TC needs the ethernet cable to work. I could be wrong though.

3. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Two options I can think of, there may be others:

1. You use the time capsule to extend your existing wireless network. Your current router must support the relevant protocol for this to work.

2. You setup the time capsule separately from your existing network. In order to access the HD you'll need to disconnect from your existing network, reconnect to the time capsule, use it, then switch back to your existing network. This seems not workable.

Also, the airport extreme supports external USB hard drives but you'll have the same issues as with the time capsule.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I hadn't heard of Cradlepoint before, so I looked up some of the recent models. Does yours have an ethernet port on it? If so, is something already plugged into it, and that's why you don't want to have a wired hard drive?

If that's the case, you might be able to get an unmanaged switch and plug that into the ethernet port. Then, plug the hard drive and whatever else into the switch to share the single port. Here is the switch that I have. Its basically a power strip for ethernet, leaving the DHCP routing functions to the router itself.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I know the Airport Express routers can be set-up in "client-mode". This will allow the AExp to be used as an Airtunes speaker or printer server. I don't think, however, that the USB on the AExp can be used for USB disks.

Maybe someone knows whether the AEBS or Time Capsule can be put into client mode. Not sure if it's a cost effective solution, though.

6. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

It has four empty ethernet ports, actually. I want the Time Capsule in my office, where the router is elsewhere in the house - essentially on a window-sill as it's the only place the thing will keep a signal.

The Cradlepoint routers are total garbage, but they're the only option for mobile broadband internet, which is my only available option for service. The aircard works everywhere on a computer, but hook it up to the router and it will only keep a signal on this one window sill. :rolleyes:

So essentially what I'm getting at is that I don't want the fairly expensive Time Capsule sitting on a window sill attached to a router that I know has issues with power (it occasionally shorts itself out).