Time Capsule will no longer stay powered on - is it dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wrldwzrd89, May 2, 2010.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My Time Capsule seems to have died. If I unplug it then plug it back in, the yellow light comes on, then shuts off after about a minute... and nothing more happens. Is it truly dead?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TCs are known to die in ~18 months due PSU failure. How old is it?

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's >18 months old at this point. It was one of the original 500GB Time Capsules. Ah well, I guess PSU failure has indeed done it in. :(

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, there has been a lot discussing about it lately :(

Take the HD out as it should be okay, buy an enclosure and put the drive in and voilà, you have new drive for ~20$

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The replacement job was a success. I now have a 1TB TC, backing up.

6. fiori42 macrumors newbie

Dead TimeCapsule

Called Apple support don't have apple care on any of my products so I was a little scared that I might have to purchase a new one. Told the rep I read online that it seems to be a common problem with them she said they are actually replacing when that happens. She spoke to her supervisor about it and now my replacement TC is on the way…:) gotta love apple

7. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks for sharing! I will keep that in mind.

8. Red5403 macrumors member

My TC died last September, 18 months after I bought it. I had read that people had success getting Apple to replace them, but it seemed like a hassle, so I never did it.

I ran across this thread earlier today, and thought I'd finally give it a try. I didn't have Apple Care on it, or any of my current machines, as they are all 3+ years old.

I called the Apple Support number. Told them my TC wouldn't power on any more. They asked for the serial number. I gave it, and then they said they had two questions for me... 1. Have I tried a different outlet? Yes. 2. Power it on with a paperclip or pen pushing in the little button on the back, and see if it does anything. I did, and no, no light, nothing.

The support person said that he'd send me a replacement TC because mine was within the range of those reported with a known issue. He said I'd have to send my non-working TC back (which I had expected as that is what I'd heard from others).

He asked for my CC# and that they would not charge anything, but just authorize the amount of the TC on my card, and only actually charge it if I didn't send mine back. I told him that I don't have any credit cards, only a debit card and that I didn't have that much money in my bank account to have it authorized (which means that that money is technically tied up and can't be spent until the authorization/hold is removed). I asked him if I had to have a CC in order to do this... How do you handle it in other situations? I know that there are people like me out there who don't have credit cards.

He said "can you hold a second?" after about 3 minutes, he came back and explained that they were going to send me a new TC - still a 500GB one... I was a little surprise by that, and asked if it was a refurb. He said no, so whether that is true or not doesn't really matter as it is better than the dead one I have now...

Finally, I asked him how I go about sending my dead one back. He surprised me by saying that since they were able to bypass the credit card requirement, that I didn't need to send it back. I was totally not expecting that!

So now, I have a new TC on the way, for one that has been dead for 9 months, and I can just get an enclosure and take the HDD out of my dead TC and have a "free" (so to speak) external 500GB HDD - which is great for me as funds have been tight, and I don't really have anything larger than 320 GB right now. Now, I have the TC of 500 GB for Time Machine, and my old TC drive as a normal, external HDD.

Yay!

So, I write this mainly to say, that if you have a dead TC, you can still call Apple and get it replaced! I didn't expect to get a replacement, let alone have them send me one without me having to send mine back!

9. peppppy macrumors newbie

It is definitely worth the call

My Time Capsule is over two years old (purch 3/08) and it just died last night as described in several posts here - so I knew the fate. I had no intention of calling Apple support until I read others who had passed warranty and been covered. Well I just called and Apple informed me that my serial number was covered and I will be sent a new 1T Time Capsule. What more can you say - I'm not thrilled it died, but matters didn't get worse and I wasn't disappointed by Apple - Thanks Steve!! :)

10. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

So...the new mac mini has the same form factor as a time capsule and also has an internal power supply (the reason for the failure of tc's)... will they also die?

11. 15danielp macrumors regular

Nope. The Time Capsule and Mac Mini have completely different power supplies due to their completely different power needs.