Time Capsule - Windows Laptop Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Yakuza, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Hey everyone.

I'm thinking buying a TM 1TB.

The idea it's to connect my father's laptop in order to save all the work that he does in the laptop, altough he has 2 pens....well you know some times windows grows a will on his own :rolleyes:, is easy to set up or is it difficult?

thank you in advance people.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you're only using a Windows machine on the setup, then the Time Capsule isn't a worthwhile investment. You'll be overpaying for no reason. If your dad already has a router, I would highly suggest a regular NAS for your situation. I'm not sure what is available in terms of automated backup solutions but I'm sure you can find many third party software for Windows that will back up your father's machine to the NAS.

If however you have a Mac and are planning on using the Time Capsule with your Mac's Time Machine, then I would highly suggest a USB hard drive to attach to the Time Capsule for your father's backups. Again, you'll need third party backup software on the Windows machine in order to back up.

Just an FYI, it seems you're under the impression that Time Capsule itself is what does the backup. This is not the case. It is only meant as a target drive for Time Machine in addition to being a router.

3. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

I'm sorry, i dind't explained myself correctly. :p

I will in fact use the TM with my iMac, possibly also with my MBP and with the winLaptop. I will connect my wireless router to the TM (using bridge mode), because of the wi-fi connection (for a stronger signal). Thus my question on if it was easy to set up a win machine with the TM to make the backup of the win machine files. Do you know some 3rd party backup soft for win?

thanks

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes, you'll need third party software for Windows to back up to the Time Capsule's disk as Time Machine (TM, the software program itself) is Mac only and only available on OS X 10.5 and 10.6. The Time Capsule (TC, hardware and not the Time Machine software) can be set up with Windows as a Network Attached Storage (NAS) easily using AirPort Utility (software that comes with the Time Capsule on the install discs).

Since you'll be using Time Machine on your Mac computers to back the Macs to your Time Capsule, I highly recommend buying another USB hard drive and attaching that to the Time Capsule to use as a backup for the Windows machine. Backing up three different machines to the Time Capsule's internal 1TB drive (if that's the version you purchase) is probably not a great idea as you will soon find yourself running out of space.

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Depends on what windows version you have. For instance Windows 7 have native backup and restore on network share with timemachine like file-backup.

6. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

well basically it would backup PPT and PDF files along side with .jpgs and Word files, nothing that heavy i think lol. the idea it's to connect a 500Gb WD hard drive

the system is Windows Vista. does it have native backup/restore network too?